LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spying on a Serial Port

I have an application (not LabView) that is collecting data via a serial port (COM1).  I am interested in spying
on that serial port using LabView.  Is it possible to collect data from that port without disturbing the collection
of data from the other application.

I would appreciate any help,Smiley Happy

price1

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(6,086 Views)
The OS will prevent you from opening a VISA session (or even Hyperterminal) to a com port that is already in use. There is a free utility program called portmon that will monitor serial activity. I don't remember exactly where I got it but you should be able to google portmon.exe and find a download site. The only option that I know of to use LabVIEW is to create a special serial cable that splits into two connectors so that you could plug into a second com port on the pc and then monitor the data being received from the instrument.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(6,065 Views)

Here is a free download RS-232 Spy Utility courtesy of TAL Technologies.

http://www.taltech.com/freesoftware/breakout.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(6,056 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(6,045 Views)
Just another spying serial port utility

you'll find some other useful utilities at

I'm not the beneficiarySmiley Wink
just use the trial versions and change your machine's date when neededSmiley Tongue
I think this is more complete and user friendly than portmon

sorry to say that I also don't know any way to build a sniffing srial port application by LV.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(6,028 Views)
Too bad there is no ActiveX component or dll I could use to incorporate it into a LabView or even VB application.

Thanks again for all the links they are very helpfull.

price1

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(6,016 Views)
Hey all, isn't there some new way how to spy the com port communication via LabVIEW? Or some work around?
LV 2011, Win7
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(5,579 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(5,568 Views)
Well, I meant whether there is some way using LabVIEW not other software. Anyway thx
LV 2011, Win7
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(5,563 Views)
Ceties,

There is not a 'new' way to spy a serial port using LabVIEW, although National Instruments software can be used for that purpose.  You can either use NI Spy (shipped with all NI software) or the Troubleshooting Serial Line Monitor example located in the LabVIEW example finder.

Also, depending on what you are trying to do, there is an extended NI-Spy that installs with the IVI driver toolset. This version of Spy will capture calls made to the IVI class drivers. Search for ivi at ni.com/products for more details.

Regards,

Lauren L
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(5,529 Views)