LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitter sizing odd behavior

Your top two horizontal panes are split in to 4 vertical sectons. Your bottom is only split in to 3.. this is expected behavior.  If you put your "Filters" and "Sequense Error" in a separate vertical pane it will behave the way you expect.

Message 11 of 20
(1,610 Views)

What about the left and right charts on the same row being different width after resizing. Is there a way to not do that?

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(1,601 Views)

Are you sure your panes are the same size (right vs. left)?

If your charts don't fill up the panes in the same way, I can see how scaling could change things.  If your right chart is 100% the width of your pane, but the left chart is only 95% of the width of the pane.  A growth of 150% would take you to 150% on chart and only 142.5% on the other.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(1,588 Views)

I get around the problem by adding an event that would set the lowest splitter position to match the upper ones when a pane resize.

Now if only I can keep all charts the same size

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(1,579 Views)

RE:

Are you sure your panes are the same size (right vs. left)?

If your charts don't fill up the panes in the same way, I can see how scaling could change things. If your right chart is 100% the width of your pane, but the left chart is only 95% of the width of the pane. A growth of 150% would take you to 150% on chart and only 142.5% on the other.

I made the charts fit to pane, and then check the dimension of the charts are all the same prior to resizing window. So I believe the panes are the same size.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(1,569 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

P@Anand wrote:

Why are you using the Splitters? Why not just scale the objects with Pane

I would never recommend using this feature.  Unless you know something I don't, this feature has never done what I want consistently.  Splitters fix all my resizing issues and help break up the UI into manageable chunks.  If you can post your VI, or rather the VI with just the front panel. 

I guess it does what I wanted. I am able to Manage the FP items size when I resize but once we try to squeeze the panel to much small size then we can see Label overlaps. Can you please explain what type of inconsisten behaviour you faced while working with this option?

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
Message 16 of 20
(1,553 Views)

P@Anand wrote:

I guess it does what I wanted. I am able to Manage the FP items size when I resize but once we try to squeeze the panel to much small size then we can see Label overlaps. Can you please explain what type of inconsisten behaviour you faced while working with this option?

Random VI I happen to have up... group the items, scale with pane, and presto!

unscaled.PNGscaled.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(1,532 Views)

Okay I did give you a kudo because you taught me something new.  If you start with your UI designed for the smallest, and only grow, you have better results.  So design the UI, then set the minimum window size to that.  Then when you grow things aren't so bad, starting at one size and then shrinking it is just garbage.

Still here is an example UI I have that I wanted to try it out on.

http://screencast.com/t/Z7BDewxJ

In this case I did as you mentioned and started at my smallest, then grew and things already don't look right.  The logo moved, drop down menues grew dis-proportionatly, fonts don't increase, but the objects that they are in do, so that looks weird.  Then I shrunk it back down to the minimum size, and still things aren't quite where we started.

One of the biggest issues I have with this feature is that it grows objects regardless of what they are.  I don't think buttons should grow with the UI.  Maybe if you are designing for a touch screen you should have big buttons, but generally they should just stay the same size.  This allows for more screen space to be used by things that actually matter like your data.  Same with drop downs.  Do these need to get bigger if the font inside them doesn't grow?  Probably not.  Same with my Location, and Test Part controls.  They can stay the same size.  Generally tables, listboxes, and graphs all look fine growing with your pane, so save the extra space for those controls.

As a comparision here is the UI it was modeled after with panes and some custom reize functions, since this version I made a few improvements with resizing some objects that didn't resize before, like the Test Status up at the top which now grows, and increases the font to fit the control.

http://screencast.com/t/Mtj0IpyRxSJ

After playing with it I realize this feature is like the DAQ Assistant to DAQmx.  If it works for you great use it it will save you lots of time.  But if it doesn't work for you you'll be pulling your hair out trying to make it work, when something custom can do exactly what you want if you invest a little more time.

Message 18 of 20
(1,518 Views)

Thats a nice demonstration of your issue, thanks. I agree with your point, Initially I was in a impression that we will be able to set the "Scale Object with Pane" for multiple objects but its wrong its not working. In many cases we would want to scale some specific objects with the pane (Like charts etc.,) and the related Idea is not given more weightage. I tried to group few objects and Scale them with the pane, the size changes but the distance of the relative objects are messed up. A much stronger algorithm on scaling the object with the pane will be helpful in future. 

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20
(1,492 Views)

P@Anand wrote:

In many cases we would want to scale some specific objects with the pane (Like charts etc.,)

Yup and that's why I enjoy using splitters, and multi-pane (pain) UIs.  I can control just where and how my UI should change when the pane changes.  Now there are tons of pit falls, and work arounds which generally makes the program more difficult to manage.  But at the end of the day the user cares a lot about how the UI works, and how they interact with it.  I tend to spend more time in UI refinement than I probably should, but I feel like the outcome is something I am proud of, and that a new user can get up to speed quickly because is is more or less intuitive.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 20
(1,473 Views)