cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split multi line string where next line changes

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello

The attached screen capture is a multi line string of test results. Each line of the string consists of a date, time and a few numbers which represent the results.

How can I split this string into 2 strings at the arrow indicated, which is where there is a gap of more than 5 minutes between the timestamps?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,682 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author tone5

Here's a start.  Scan the time and subtract it from the previous line.

snip.jpg

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 2 of 9
(4,651 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author tone5

To add on to 

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

Message 3 of 9
(4,603 Views)

I have maneged to implement this and get it to work, even I don't yet fully understand the string format notation. Many thanks for the suggestion.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,568 Views)

The format is a timestamp because it uses "%<" and ">T" to surround the sub-format that defines the timestamp within the string.

Within the timestamp format, there are instances of hour/minute/second/etc values that it looks for within the string. Everything with a "%" in front of it is a numeric value. Everything else is a delimiter specific to the string.

Simple Example:

String: "4:30"

Format String: "%<%H:%M>T"

It uses the colon in the format string to understand where a colon would be found in the timestamp.

Alternatively, you could use "0430" and "%<%H%M>T" and get the same result (but only if the "04" is two digits instead of one)

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,553 Views)

Thanks James

I'm struggling to understand what the "%p" does in "%<%d/%m/%Y %H:%M %p>T"

The Labview help suggests that the %p defines the precision. However when I change the %p to %.2p, or any other value instead of 2, the precision of the result does not change.

The reason I'm looking at this is because I would like the resulting string to look like "dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss", not "dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss.000" i.e. I don't want the 3 decimal places after the seconds.

Am I on the right track in thinking that %p controls the precision of this, or is it done differently for a time vaule?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,488 Views)

%p reads the AM/PM part of the timestamp

I usually look here to decode this stuff:

snip.jpg

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,463 Views)

@tone5 wrote:

The reason I'm looking at this is because I would like the resulting string to look like "dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss", not "dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss.000" i.e. I don't want the 3 decimal places after the seconds.

Am I on the right track in thinking that %p controls the precision of this, or is it done differently for a time vaule?

"resulting string" What resulting string?

From jcarmody example, you have strings that are converted to a Numeric Time Stamp (number of seconds)

Are you talking about a Time Stamp Control that you have placed on your VI?

TimeFormat.png

I think you will also need to use the following format string

%<%m/%d/%Y %H:%M.%S>T

I assume the decimal point in your time strings does not mean fractional minutes, but seconds

Omar
Message 8 of 9
(4,444 Views)

Thanks Omar and jcarmody; that's useful information.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,376 Views)