LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specific driver ivi read and write to binary file for tektronic oscilloscope 7000 series

Hello,

I am trying to port a saved scope image on the Tektronix 7000 series scope to a user specified path on the PC using LabVIEW and USB port.

I am successful in saving the image to the scope (can find the file in the local scope hard drive) and port the image to the PC using USB. However, i failed to write the data into binary file.

Please see attached block diagram of my current progress.

Is there a specific command I am missing? Is my method got any mistakes?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(3,268 Views)

There are a lot of things that could be going wrong, but you don't know what they are because you are not using your error clusters.

Do you see the data on the input to the binary write? There is also an input to the binary write that specifies whether a byte count will be prepended to the binary data. This needs to be set to false.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 2 of 17
(3,246 Views)

There are a lot of things that could be going wrong, but you don't know what they are because you are not using your error clusters.

Do you see the data on the input to the binary write? There is also an input to the binary write that specifies whether a byte count will be prepended to the binary data. This needs to be set to false.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(3,246 Views)

Thanks for reply and sorry for reply late. After i add the false to the "prepend array?", it still dnt work, the output of the IVI read is blank. The below are the attachment of the read buffer of READ IVI and the wanted output. 

I also got try used VISA READ driver, it also produce blank read buffer. However, when i used VISA READ TO FILE, it succeed to save as png file!! But, in my project, i can only used IVI driver. 

Thank you.

Regards,

Chun

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(3,219 Views)
How did you get the correct output?

Please clean up the wiring for the commands. It is difficult to read. And, why are you first writing to a file. A last comment is that once you use instrument specific commands, you are not really using IVI anymore so the use of the VISA Write to File is perfectly valid.
Message 5 of 17
(3,204 Views)

The expected correct input is from the 4000 series oscilloscope using the same method.

The reason why i need to write to file is because i need to save the screenshot in png in pc. Are you have better way to save the png file?

Beside 7000 series, my codes need also work together with other series, so IVI is required.

The below are the connection after cleanning.

Thank you for reply.

Regards,

chun

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(3,193 Views)
You normally don't have to first save to a file. You should be able to save to the output buffer.

IVI is based on VISA so I don't understand your objection. Other instruments could have a different command set for a print screen so IVI is questionable. Why don't you take a screen shot of the waveform display on the pc monitor.
Message 7 of 17
(3,186 Views)

The reason why i used IVI driver is because i am building an interchangeble labview GUI for different series of tektronix oscilloscope.

Moreover, IVI driver is unable to used with VISA driver, hence i need to use IVI specific driver for down casting to perform certain functions like sceenshot.

Sorry, there was a bit misleading on my question in the first post. The problem i faced is transfer of screenshot to laptop using SCPI commands with IVI specific driver. The output of read buffer is incomplete/empty as picture below.

Output of READ IVI.PNG

The empty output buffer cause the "write to binary file" failed.

Thank you.

Regards,

chun

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(3,176 Views)

You shouldn't have to save the png to a file on the scope and then transfer it.  You can do a direct hardcopy to GPIB or Ethernet and read the data to save it in a PNG file.  Here's an example of how I did it with the TDS3000 series scope (commands should be the same):http://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/Screen-capture-of-Tektronix-MSO4104B-using-La...

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 9 of 17
(3,158 Views)

The codes dnt work for 7000 series oscilloscope. The below are the errors occur if only use hard copy commants.

Error.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(3,135 Views)