LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spaceship sleep mode

Please help. I am an engineering professor and new to LabView and am working on an inexpensive system that can harvest energy from solar cells and store it on batteries.

It would need to shut down if it loses power (with low quiescent power needs) and then start back up once power is regained.

The system is to run a simple arduino controller (with lights, servos, sensors, etc.).

Any suggestions, (both hardware and software)?

Thanks,

Peter 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,573 Views)

If you want to interface with an arduino controller and program in LabVIEW I would check out the MakerHub (more specifically LINX)

https://www.labviewmakerhub.com/doku.php?id=libraries:linx:start

As for hardware we would have to know more about your system to give any good recommendations.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,524 Views)

There is also Arduino Compatible Compiler for LabVIEW http://www.tsxperts.com/arduino-compatible-compiler-for-labview/

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,475 Views)

Can you not do the whole thing on the Arduino? They use very little power.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,381 Views)

How does an Arduino handle losing power and regaining power. Does it restart at the beginning of a program, from where it left off, or lose the program?

Is there a risk that the solar cells will overcharge and damage the battery? Is this a bad idea for Lithium Ion batteries or NiCad?

Thanks,

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,306 Views)
The program should just restart from the beginning when power is restored.

The other part of your question is something you should determine yourself. It's not at all related to LabVIEW.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,282 Views)

I have a related question - I plan to use the LabVIEW compiler to deploy some code on a Nano, that reads a table of on/off times (from a PC LabVIEW GUI), then goes to sleep, wakes up, switches a solenoid on or off, goes back to sleep and repeats down the list of times in the table - typically hours / minutes in one 24hr period. 

I have a hunch it would be easier to keep the Nano awake for the duration!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,790 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,763 Views)

Any updates?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,739 Views)