cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorensen XG 60-14

Solved!
Go to solution
Hello,

I have purchased a Sorensen XG 60-14 programmable power source. I have setup usb connection, and the example vi works. However, i cannot figure out how to use remotely the device as a current source to drive Peltier module. The example shows how to specify voltage AND current outputs, so constant power. I need to set output current, and the voltage should depend on the load. Of caurse i would also set a voltage limit.
Someone could give me a hint how to do what i need?
Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,762 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Blokk

Set the current to what you want to output.  Then set the voltage to the maximum voltage you will want to output.  If the load requires more current for that voltage, the supply should go into a constant current mode.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 5
(2,757 Views)

Ah, I see the idea 🙂 I was a bit confused, because we have an older DLM Sorensen model, which has a setcurrent output VI in its driver package...

So I set the maximum voltage which is allowed in my case (48 Volts) once, and I just have to set the current by my PID loop.

By the way, what is the difference between setting the voltage to a maximum level by the SetOutput VI, and the OvervoltageProtection VI? Maybe the second makes sense, when the device is used in constant power mode? Anyway, for my Peltier I need current driving, so I should be happy with the method which you described.

thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,754 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

By the way, what is the difference between setting the voltage to a maximum level by the SetOutput VI, and the OvervoltageProtection VI? Maybe the second makes sense, when the device is used in constant power mode?

Power supplies are normally in Constant Voltage (CV) mode, meaning it will track the voltage.  In this case, the Overvoltage Protection (OVP) is an setting inside of the power supply that limits the output voltage.  You will get an error if you try to set the voltage higher than that.

When your current draw becomes too high (you reached your compliance current), the supply will change over the Constant Current (CC) mode.  This means the voltage will be limited by the current.

Constant Power (CP) mode works much the same as CC, but you are limited by the power available by the supply.  It is generally a really bad idea to try to operate in this mode.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,747 Views)

thanks, it is more clear now 🙂

I will use the CC mode, and set the maximum allowed voltage (two Peltier modules connected in serial, each modules can be driven with maximum 24Volts & 15 Amperes, so I guess I am safe with max 48 Volts...).

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,745 Views)