LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“Sorensen Error Query.vi”, code -1074003951

I am a complete novice to LabVIEW, I have a couple of Sorensen DLM power supplies that are controlled by GPIB.  These get errors like “Sorensen Error Query.vi”, code -1074003951 and VISA Write in Sorensen Read voltage output.vi->PDFT 150V RevA1.vi.  I am trying to figure out if this is a hardware or software issue, then how to fix if it is a software issue.

Sometimes the program runs for 8 hours without error sometimes 30+, but need it to run without faulting for a longer time.

Thanks for any input,

MKroll

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,045 Views)
Hi. I dont know what the errors are, but it may be accepable to ignore the occasional error. Rather than exiting your application or throwing an error dialogue, you could try silently logging the error and re-initialising the instrument. This is worth considering although not always possible. Make sure you can detect a real problem such as rapidly repeated errors. The next step is to try and find the actual source of the error and fix it, this could be tricky as it is infrequent.
All the best. Michael
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,018 Views)

Ignore the occasional error??? You're suggesting he settle for buggy code? What in the world?

Maybe today the error is infrequent, but if right after you go live conditions change so the program freaks out once an hour, what are you going to do then? And it doesn't even meet his (relaxed) specs now.

We can't advise anything about your code without seeing it (the VI itself, NOT a picture), and if you could also attach the LV drivers (or subVIs) for the power supplies, so we could see how it fits into the picture, it should help.

Cameron

To err is human, but to really foul it up requires a computer.
The optimist believes we are in the best of all possible worlds - the pessimist fears this is true.
Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.
An expert is someone who has made all the possible mistakes.

To learn something about LabVIEW at no extra cost, work the online LabVIEW tutorial(s):

LabVIEW Unit 1 - Getting Started</ a>
Learn to Use LabVIEW with MyDAQ</ a>
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,011 Views)
I would NEVER settle for buggy code! But some things are out of our control. Have you never seen a glitch on an instrument, comms cabling or even windows drivers beyond our control? Tjere could be any nomber of environmental factors. All I am saying is consider being more error tollerant. There is more to error handling than exit
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(2,988 Views)

@Michael_78 wrote:
I would NEVER settle for buggy code! But some things are out of our control. Have you never seen a glitch on an instrument, comms cabling or even windows drivers beyond our control? Tjere could be any nomber of environmental factors. All I am saying is consider being more error tollerant. There is more to error handling than exit

I think this should be your LAST resort, not your first.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(2,986 Views)

Oh, does this happen with any of the power supplies or just one?  I'm thinking it could be something like a cable length issue.  GPIB is single-ended and fairly susceptible to attenuation.  I forget what the spec is, but it might be worth checking out.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(2,979 Views)

@billko wrote:

@Michael_78 wrote:

Agree. it should not be the solution.  I was premature in making this suggestion, but i did say the root cause should be investigated.  I know my users would like it if their test kept shutting down while i found the root cause of an issue, especially if it might be 40hrs into a test.  It is true we need to look at the code and see if there may be something there.  The 40 hrs thing lead me to an OS/environmental glitch which may be beyond the control of the programmer, but there could be programming issues of course.

Michael.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(2,965 Views)

@Michael_78 wrote:

@billko wrote:

@Michael_78 wrote:

Agree. it should not be the solution.  I was premature in making this suggestion, but i did say the root cause should be investigated.  I know my users would like it if their test kept shutting down while i found the root cause of an issue, especially if it might be 40hrs into a test.  It is true we need to look at the code and see if there may be something there.  The 40 hrs thing lead me to an OS/environmental glitch which may be beyond the control of the programmer, but there could be programming issues of course.

Michael.

Sometimes it's a money thing, too - unfortunately.  Sometimes management won't let you spend the necessary engineering hours to fix it.  😞

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(2,952 Views)

Hi,

I recommend checking with your instrument provider to see if there has been a new firmware release or new driver for your power supplies. It seems that this error appears when an instrument does not match to the correct software driver making the call to it.

Please refer to KB:

http://www.ni.com/support/labview/visa/verr1.htm

Hope this information is useful.

Luis S
Application Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(2,949 Views)

@luissg wrote:

Hi,

I recommend checking with your instrument provider to see if there has been a new firmware release or new driver for your power supplies. It seems that this error appears when an instrument does not match to the correct software driver making the call to it.

Please refer to KB:

http://www.ni.com/support/labview/visa/verr1.htm

Hope this information is useful.

I would think the error would be nice and consistent if that was the case.  SInce the OP also reported something happening in a VISA write, think it might be more likely to be a hardware issue.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(2,941 Views)