LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snoop the RS-232

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm having a hard time troubleshooting the LabVIEW RS-232 drivers I wrote for my stepper motor.  Is there anyway (external to LabVIEW) I can view the transmit and receive characters on my RS-232 port without disrupting what LabVIEW is doing?

Every once-in-awhile, I send a command to my motor and the motor indicates that it has an Command Error (I get that from querying the error register on the motor).  At the end of my error report I attach the command I sent the motor, and it always looks correct.  Further, my drivers verify all the data set on the motor and the motor's responses checkout with the data I was attempting to set.  Functionality wise, everything works, if I ignore the error register on my motor.

I've added about everything I can to my error reports that I can think of to help me figure out what exactly is causing my motor to receive an erronous command.  It would be really helpful if I could directly spy on the communication somehow without locking up the port.

Thanks!

-nic

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(4,110 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author hecmar.arreola

Nickerbocker wrote:

I'm having a hard time troubleshooting the LabVIEW RS-232 drivers I wrote for my stepper motor.  Is there anyway (external to LabVIEW) I can view the transmit and receive characters on my RS-232 port without disrupting what LabVIEW is doing?

Every once-in-awhile, I send a command to my motor and the motor indicates that it has an Command Error (I get that from querying the error register on the motor).  At the end of my error report I attach the command I sent the motor, and it always looks correct.  Further, my drivers verify all the data set on the motor and the motor's responses checkout with the data I was attempting to set.  Functionality wise, everything works, if I ignore the error register on my motor.

I've added about everything I can to my error reports that I can think of to help me figure out what exactly is causing my motor to receive an erronous command.  It would be really helpful if I could directly spy on the communication somehow without locking up the port.

Thanks!

-nic

NI Spy does that!

If you don't want that you can try portmon (search for that) but it will truncate long messages while NI-Spy does not.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 2 of 13
(4,103 Views)

Ben wrote:

If you don't want that you can try portmon (search for that) but it will truncate long messages while NI-Spy does not.

NI Spy will as well unless you change the buffer size. In Portmon you can also change the "Max Output Bytes", though I've never tested this. The default is 128 bytes.

Message 3 of 13
(4,092 Views)

smercurio_fc wrote:

Ben wrote:

NI Spy will as well unless you change the buffer size. In Portmon you can also change the "Max Output Bytes", though I've never tested this. The default is 128 bytes.

Well now that I know it is there, I'll give it a whirl. Smiley Wink

Thank you!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(4,075 Views)

Thanks for the tip Ben.  Never had used NI-SPY before, but I will probably be using it more now...

Still no dice.  I stepped through every single write command to the stepper motor until I get the error and every write command I'm sending it has the correct syntax.  Additionally, every single verification write back check is what the command asked it to do. The command that is being sent that is generating the error is "@0R8", which sets the step-resolution to 1/8th steps, which is the first thing sent when establishing a motion profile.  After that command (after the motor errors), my drivers send the command "@0VR" to verify the value I just set in the "step resolution" register, and it responds "8" (up from 4 from the previously sent command).  So the motor IS recieving and executing the command.  Looking over the log, there isn't any odd-ball communication that occures.

I send my first profile to the motor and ask it to execute, it does.  I then send my second command to the motor and I get the error:

"A bad command was sent to the pulse generator.  Please check to see that the command being sent is valid, or that the pulse generator is not running."

The pulse generator shouldn't be running, as the second motion profile isn't sent until the motor finishes its first motion profile.

The motor is throwing the error, but as I said before, I could ignore motor errors and my application runs just fine.  But I don't accept that as a solution.

I'll try fiddling with the timing.  Maybe I need to add a delay between sequences....

Any other thoughts or ideas are well appreciated.

-Nic

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(4,063 Views)

The real answer is hiding in the motor controller protocol manual but I have seen similar for older stuff that can't keep up with modern computers. I would be looking for a status byte I could query that reflects the state of the motion.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,060 Views)

There is a "sequence complete pin" that outputs a wiggle whenever the motor is done with its motion.  I have the signal being held high for 1ms (which is the maximum the motor allows, that configuration register is 1us to 1000us), and I'm reading the output of that pin using a counter.  The counter must increment before I start sending a new command.

I've added 500ms between each sequence write and am trying to send single sequences to the motor with lots of pauses between what I'm doing.

The behavior is very predictable:

1. Send first motion profile

Send -> @0R8

Send -> @0VR

Check :: Is the value in the R register 8?

....various other commands that follow a similar pattern

Send -> @0G1 (execute motion profile 1)

2. The motor moves as I specified.

3. Send second motion profile

Send -> @0R8

and that is where I get the error.

I'm going to see if I can dig up some software written by the motor manufacturer (Anaheim) to see what their software does.

---

Edit: If I power cycle my motor between sequences I do not get the error.  It is like there is a character hanging out in the write buffer at the end of a sequence that is screwing up the next sequence.  I clear the write and read buffers before sending a new sequence of commands....

Message Edited by Nickerbocker on 12-01-2009 02:13 PM
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(4,046 Views)

I did a checkout of the commands my program send against the commands Anaheim Automation's software sends. 

When I send a "go" command, the following traffic on the wire is seen in portmon (I'm going to bold the command):

0.00000838    DAQ and Control    IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_COMMSTATUS    Serial2    SUCCESS       
0.00089732    DAQ and Control    IRP_MJ_WRITE    Serial2    SUCCESS    Length 4: @0G1   
0.00000559    DAQ and Control    IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_COMMSTATUS    Serial2    SUCCESS       
0.00091660    DAQ and Control    IRP_MJ_WRITE    Serial2    SUCCESS    Length 1: .   
0.00001006    DAQ and Control    IOCTL_SERIAL_PURGE    Serial2    SUCCESS    Purge: RXABORT RXCLEAR   
0.00000279    DAQ and Control    IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_COMMSTATUS    Serial2    SUCCESS       
0.00000223    DAQ and Control    IOCTL_SERIAL_PURGE    Serial2    SUCCESS    Purge: TXABORT TXCLEAR    
0.00000168    DAQ and Control    IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_COMMSTATUS    Serial2    SUCCESS       

I'm not sure what the Length 1 "." means exactly (CR, LF, actual period..?)

When Anaheim's software send the same command it looks like:

0.00000726    SMPG-SMSI Softw    IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_COMMSTATUS    Serial2    SUCCESS       
0.00000168    SMPG-SMSI Softw    IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_PROPERTIES    Serial2    SUCCESS       
0.00046933    SMPG-SMSI Softw    IRP_MJ_WRITE    Serial2    SUCCESS    Length 1: @   
0.00000223    SMPG-SMSI Softw    IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_COMMSTATUS    Serial2    SUCCESS       
0.00000196    SMPG-SMSI Softw    IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_COMMSTATUS    Serial2    SUCCESS       
0.00000140    SMPG-SMSI Softw    IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_PROPERTIES    Serial2    SUCCESS       
0.00088559    SMPG-SMSI Softw    IRP_MJ_WRITE    Serial2    SUCCESS    Length 1: 0   
0.00000335    SMPG-SMSI Softw    IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_WAIT_MASK    Serial2    SUCCESS    Mask: RXCHAR TXEMPTY CTS DSR RLSD BRK ERR RING    
0.00082385    SMPG-SMSI Softw    IOCTL_SERIAL_WAIT_ON_MASK    Serial2    SUCCESS       
0.00000419    SMPG-SMSI Softw    IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_COMMSTATUS    Serial2    SUCCESS       
0.00000168    SMPG-SMSI Softw    IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_COMMSTATUS    Serial2    SUCCESS       
0.00000168    SMPG-SMSI Softw    IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_PROPERTIES    Serial2    SUCCESS       
0.00086352    SMPG-SMSI Softw    IRP_MJ_WRITE    Serial2    SUCCESS    Length 1: G   
0.00000307    SMPG-SMSI Softw    IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_WAIT_MASK    Serial2    SUCCESS    Mask: RXCHAR TXEMPTY CTS DSR RLSD BRK ERR RING    
0.00079563    SMPG-SMSI Softw    IOCTL_SERIAL_WAIT_ON_MASK    Serial2    SUCCESS       
0.00000475    SMPG-SMSI Softw    IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_COMMSTATUS    Serial2    SUCCESS       
0.00000196    SMPG-SMSI Softw    IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_COMMSTATUS    Serial2    SUCCESS       
0.00085905    SMPG-SMSI Softw    IRP_MJ_WRITE    Serial2    SUCCESS    Length 1: 1   
0.00000335    SMPG-SMSI Softw    IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_WAIT_MASK    Serial2    SUCCESS    Mask: RXCHAR TXEMPTY CTS DSR RLSD BRK ERR RING    
0.00078725    SMPG-SMSI Softw    IOCTL_SERIAL_WAIT_ON_MASK    Serial2    SUCCESS       
0.00000531    SMPG-SMSI Softw    IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_WAIT_MASK    Serial2    SUCCESS    Mask: RXCHAR TXEMPTY CTS DSR RLSD BRK ERR RING    
0.00093587    SMPG-SMSI Softw    IOCTL_SERIAL_WAIT_ON_MASK    Serial2    SUCCESS       
0.00000279    SMPG-SMSI Softw    IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_COMMSTATUS    Serial2    SUCCESS       
0.00079479    SMPG-SMSI Softw    IRP_MJ_WRITE    Serial2    SUCCESS    Length 1: .   
0.00000419    SMPG-SMSI Softw    IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_COMMSTATUS    Serial2    SUCCESS       
0.00000391    SMPG-SMSI Softw    IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_WAIT_MASK    Serial2    SUCCESS    Mask: RXCHAR TXEMPTY CTS DSR RLSD BRK ERR RING    
0.00000000    SMPG-SMSI Softw    IOCTL_SERIAL_WAIT_ON_MASK    Serial2           

Quite a bit different looking.  The way I'm sending the command must be wrong (because it will eventually cause an error).  Are my port settings wrong or something?  Is there an easy way to get my output to look like this other output?  What is this IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_WAIT_MASK and WAIT_ON_MASK and is there anyway for me to impliment that using NI-VISA?  

The manual specifies these COM port settings:

Baud Rate: 38400

Parity: None

Data Bits: 8

Stop Bits: 1

Flow Control: Xon/Xoff

In labview, I have these setting specified:

screen.png

And this bit of G code defines the port configurations:

screen.png

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(4,020 Views)

The main difference I see is that their software sends out the command one character at a time whereas in your code you're sending out the whole command. Frankly, I don't see how this would matter.

Nickerbocker wrote:
I'm not sure what the Length 1 "." means exactly (CR, LF, actual period..?)

You would need to switch to Hex view for the data so it can be determined what that really is. In Portmon this is done from the Options -> Show Hex menu item. It looks like a period, though. 

Nickerbocker wrote:
What is this IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_WAIT_MASK and WAIT_ON_MASK and is there anyway for me to impliment that using NI-VISA

IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_WAIT_MASK tells the serial driver to notify a client (in this case the application) when certain events have occurred. The stuff after "Mask:" is the list of events.  IOCTL_SERIAL_WAIT_ON_MASK is the actual application waiting for one of the previously defined events to have occurred. It appears that the app is waiting for the transmit buffer to be empty before sending out the next character. Again, I don't see why sending out the command one character at a time should matter here. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,008 Views)

What does the motor controller send back?  How does that compare between the LV program and the manufacturer's software?

Lynn 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(3,979 Views)