LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single Board Rio: sleep mode unavailable

Hi,

I bought a Single Board RIO 9636 which is to be used in a battery-powered system. Hence, power consumption is critical.

I hoped I could use the sleep mode that is mentionned here (p29) and here but the "sleep I/O item" does not appear in the Labview project.

Do I have to do something special to make this I/O appear in the FPGA I/O?

Does my SBRIO support sleep mode?

Any idea of the kind of power consumption I can achieve with sleep mode on? Is there a big difference compared to regular mode?

Best regards,

peper

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,895 Views)

Peper,

You are actually referencing the previous generation of sbRIO's manual in this post. It is a bit confusing at that manual was labeled 963x. If you go to the sbRIO-9636's product page, you can select "Resources" and get to the prodcut manuals from there. Here is the sbRIO-9636's manual.

The Sleep I/O item allows C Series module to enter a sleep mode, not the sbRIO controller itself; therefore, the sbRIO-9636 does not have a Sleep I/O item under the FPGA target in the LabVIEW Project.

If you want to go into a lower power state, you can stop the FPGA bitfile from running which should lower the power consumption (you can do this with the FPGA Abort invoke node with the FPGA Interface that runs on RT). 

Tannerite
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,894 Views)

Hi,

Too bad to hear that the SBRIO we bought does not have a sleep mode. The information provided by NI is indeed very confusing.

We did implement the "abort FPGA" method but, unfortunately, did not see a difference in power consumption.

Anyway, thanks for your answer!

Regards,

peper

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,884 Views)
Hi, is it possible to use a sbRIO-9623 with a NI 9693 (RIO Mezzanine Card) and a C Series module which needs the SLEEP FPGA line to be explicitly driven to low (ground)? As far as I can see, unfortunately, the SLEEP FPGA line cannot be found in the FPGA Target when creating a project with at sbRIO-9623 and a NI 9693. As the RMC is intended to be used with standard C series modules (and most of these modules have a SLEEP line / mode), I would assume that the SLEEP line is at least constantly driven to low. Am I right?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,692 Views)

Hi henningL,

You are correct in that the Sleep I/O Node is not a feature for the NI 9693; therefore, it cannot be change within the LabVIEW Project. The SLEEP line is actually active low so it is not driven low on for this product to prevent the modules from always being in sleep mode. The C Series modules connected to the NI 9693 are always in their active modes. I hope this clears things up.

Tannerite
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,674 Views)
Hi Tannerite, thanks for your quick answer. Unfortunately, I still have a problem. Even though I think that an active low SLEEP line would make more sense then an active high line (from a power consumption point of view that is), all sources I found (e.g. NI cRIO-9951 Hardware User Manual) point at the fact that the SLEEP line is actually active HIGH. And if the RMC would drive the pin constantly high, our modules wouldn't work. So, where did you get your information from? Best Henning
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,593 Views)