From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal Filtering

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a pretty basic need for the filtering capabilities of LabVIEW.  We measure accelerometer data over a period of time and filter out all frequenicies that are above 500 Hz.  

Essentially, I need a program that reads from a 2 column, tab-delineated text file, puts a 500 Hz lo-pass filter on the data, and saves to a new file.

Below is a very simple block diagram, along with the filter settings, and the error I receive, when I attempt to run it with data obtained from a previous test that was not filtered.

Filter diagram and error.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(2,739 Views)
Your 2D array has no timing information. Simply converting to the evil dynamic type does not add the necessary dt. The function is defaulting to a dt of 1 second. Did you actually save timing in the file?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(2,722 Views)

The file is 2 columns, G forces and time.

I thought maybe it wasn't working because the .vi might only take a live signal, rather than a stored data file.  Not sure about that though.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(2,692 Views)
The source of the data is irrelevant. What you have to do is format the data correctly. From the column with the time information, get the t0 and dt and set that with the build waveform function. Without that, you would have to manually provide dt to one of the lower level filter functions.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(2,684 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LarsUlrich

Well, I am making progress, thanks for the help.  Still getting an error though.

Filter diagram and error.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(2,670 Views)
Sorry, since you did not attach the VI or the file, impossible to say what else might be wrong. Look at the data array and the express filter settings.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(2,658 Views)

Attached are the .vi and data file

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(2,653 Views)
According to your picture, you are extracting the time column. Set the column index to 1.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(2,647 Views)

You are correct, but I still get the error message.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(2,640 Views)
I am now away from a pc with LabVIEW. Perhaps someone else can look at the VI. As I said, look at the express configuration.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(2,629 Views)