From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show list of active hardware devices

Hello,

i want to show at system start a list of the active hardware devices (cDAQ-9188 and modules). I know there are a few of knowledge bases.

My problem is that on the one side all of the hardware from MAX is shown or on the other side (if i disconnect the devices) the list is'nt updated an i see the same list (devices that are'nt connected).

Some keywords are: system hardware, daq system.

Using LV2014.

greetings

Schwede

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,537 Views)

Are you asking how to check for the devices, or about a programming setup to continuously check the connected devices?

Do you have code already that's not working properly?

Have you tried using the DAQmx System node DevNames property?

P.S. The forum allows these handy "Tags" which act as keywords.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,522 Views)

The program is a test sequencer. At the first start it should scan the active, connected and powered measure devices.

I have tried to use the DAQSystem node DevNames (and the example), but if I disconnect one or all devices the list is the same.

The keywords are the examples I have tried.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,516 Views)

Ah, example keywords. Gotcha.

So just to cover all of the bases here, when you say disconnect, are you removing the device from the network? Disconnecting the ethernet cable?

Are you using the examples unchanged and just running them over and over? Which examples exactly? The keywords lead to multiple examples.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,503 Views)

The list refreshes correctly for me using the following code:

DAQmx Device Refresh.png

(For me it lists my 3 simulated devices and when I connect/disconnect a USB-6001 that then shows up / disappears from the list - I don't have any ethernet DAQ devices on my system though like an ethernet cDAQ - perhaps for that you can use the System Configuration VIs?)

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,500 Views)

Thank's for your answers.

I have tried this:

http://www.ni.com/example/30954/en/

And it works with USB - devices, but not with my NI cDAQ-9188.

The System Configuration doesn't work too:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-29606

I think there must be an command/block/vi to refresh the network devices. I have tried a selftest on every found device, but it is very slow.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,465 Views)

I remember being frusted with the network discovery for cDAQ hardware at one point.  We had N networked cDAQ devices on a bus and didn't know how many or what the IP address was.  But we knew the range of IP address it could be.  All chassis had a unique IP something like 192.168.1.xxx.  So I found some software that would ping many IP address quickly and at once.  Again because the NI and even commandline ones are quite slow.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Discover-cDAQ-Ethernet/m-p/2817584#M824878

Edit the IPs.txt in that after extracting the zip to a folder and it should return which IPs it found.  It would take less than a second to scan the network with this method, where the other methods were upwards of 50 seconds.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,434 Views)