LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show front panel of subVI on a real-time target

Hi,

I'm running an application on a real-time target (14.00). On the main front panel of the application, I have a button who open another VI with the invoke node method but this component doesn't work with Real-Time taget. So, how can I show the front panel without this method ?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,000 Views)

Hint: RT = there should be no GUI.

RT applications are meant to just run off on their own.  GUI is not part of a real RT system since that adds a non-deterministic process to the system, adding jitter (which is a big no-no in RT).  What you should be doing is making a Windows host application that can communicate with the RT system (via Network Streams, TCP/IP, etc).  The host application acts as the GUI/HMI.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,991 Views)

Thanks for you answer.

What does means "GUI" ? Sorry my english a little bit bad.

The real-time target is doing data acquisition. All the project is deployed on it. I have another computer which is connected to the target via Ethernet who actually acts like a HMI. The main screen is working fine but I need to open another VI for options, setting etc which was working fine on a local system with the invoke node method. So I need to open the front panel of that VI. If I understand well what you said, there is no way to do it  ?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,985 Views)

Why launch an options dialog on something that doesn't have  a Graphical User Interface (GUI)?  The HMI should be launching the dialog and then you send the selected options to the RT system.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,969 Views)

You should study the CRIO developers guide because you are missing some fundamental knowledge about RTs.

First off, you can't use property nodes properly on an RT target, period.

I am assuming you are running interactively (not a build rtexe) so you can view front panels for debugging purposes, and you could even do some controlling on them, but once again this is not what the RT system was designed for. You should have an RT application that communicates with an application on your computer to view current values and send messages both ways. Once you have your data on the GUI (HMI, Windows Machine) you can use property nodes or any standard programming methods, but the RT will not handle any display.

Basically, if you dont understand the first few chapters of the CRIO dev guide it will be difficult to understand the advice we will give you.

ET

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,959 Views)