From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared variable in window 7

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a project from Labview 8.6.1 with a lvlib of 9 shared variable from which some are simple basic variables (strings, booleans) but some are complex type def.

Project works in original design of LV 8.6.1.

I opened in LV 11 SP1f1 and shared variables were not recognized. I added them again. I had bad time for the project to see variables and when I had to add the last one everything is ok no problem, I save vis and project then when I open again project and top level vi then complain that the last variable is not part of project. I added it again, I save again all vis are ok but next time when I open project I have again error of the variable not being part of project.

Is anything that I am missing or I am doing wrong? See attached my variable in project.

Thank you,

Virginia

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,363 Views)

Hi there, try disabling the auto-population folder.

Alejandro C. | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,338 Views)

Thank you for answer but I am afraid I do not know what disable auto-populate folder you refer to. Is this only for Labview 2011 and how to access it? Is also in Labview 8.6 and I do not know about?

Thank you,

VIrginia

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,332 Views)

The library containing the shared variables is inside a auto-populating folder. Right click the folder called "SafetiesSwitches" and select "Stop Auto-populating". I've seen the described error disappearing by simply applying this change.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,327 Views)

Thank you, Alejandro,

It looks your trick worked. Is this a bug or a procedure? This is for me to know and after your answer I will close the issue.

Other problems might come when it is about building application with LV 2011 but this could be other message in forum.

Thank you,

Virginia

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,322 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Virginia_Solomon

I new this was a bug on top of my head but after a search I found a reference here (see 40906). This was a bug reported in LV8.5. I'll inform R&D about this event because this was suppose to be fixed a long time ago.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,316 Views)