From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared library, generated in LabVIEW for Linux, crashes when reading shared variables (using DataSocket)

I wish to read and write to shared variables from a C++ program running on a Debian machine.

I started out easy, and made a vi that takes in the ip and shared variable path as strings, and feeds them to a DataSocket Read block. It worked perfectly.

I then created a shared library (.dll) with that vi, and included it in a simple C++ application. Running this also worked perfectly.

Since my C++ program is supposed to run in a linux environment, I re-created the read vi with my Linux version of the LabVIEW Professional Development System 2015 SP1. Executing this vi also worked perfectly.

Finally I created a shared library (.so) from this vi, and tried to include it in a simple C++ application. But this time it did not work. The C++ program returns 0 (default value input into the DataSocket Read block, I guess) and the error code 42. It also causes the C++ application to crash. I have tried numerous settings when building my shared library, but nothing seems to work.

I have tried calling the shared library from LabVIEW, using a Call Library Function Node block, and this actually did work.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience in reading shared variables through a shared library on Linux?

Is there anything I could do to debug this further? I have had a quick try at using the LabVIEW debugger tool for applications and shared libraries, but I am not able to catch the application before it crashes.

I have also tried some basic valgrind testing, but there seems to be endless leaks detected, even in this simple application, so I think I might be doing it wrong.

- I have installed LabVIEW 2015 SP1 for Linux on a Debian 7.9 machine (actually an Oracle VirtualBox VM running on a Windows 7 machine).
- gcc version 4.7.2

Download All
Message 1 of 1
(2,598 Views)