LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Variable Property Error

So...
This is the error I'm getting when trying to read the property of a shared variable (the description to be exact).
Error -1967362020 occurred at an unidentified location
Possible reason(s):
IAK_SHARED:  (Hex 0x8ABC701C) The provided refnum is invalid.

How I'm accessing the property... I have a string that I'm building "\\localhost\libraryname\" and then I'm appending the variable name.  That is then going into the string->shared variable function and going to the property node.
The string also goes to a control to bind it to the value (the value updates correctly).
I get that error however only with an executable version of the code.  When I run the code in development I get no error and the function returns the description property of the shared variable.

Any ideas?  Thanks
Michael
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,455 Views)
If you're using the "home" or "default" paths in Dev mode, the EXE may not know where to look. Could this be the issue? If you think so, use explicitly types paths.
Richard

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,448 Views)
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by that, however.. I've tried using both \\localhost\ and the acutal IP address.  The interesting thing is the same string, when used for the binding path on the control works correctly and updates values as it should (in both exe and dev mode)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,445 Views)
I thought maybe you were building your strings from files or pointers located on your computer, where the use of "home" or "default" don't carry over to EXE.
Richard

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,438 Views)
attached is an example of the issue.  Be sure to open the project and deploy the lib library first, then run as code versus the executable.
This is in 8.5.1

Message Edited by Michael Wise on 08-06-2008 01:26 PM
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,421 Views)
Hi Michael,

There appears to be a CAR for this issue, 53315.  While it isn't listed in the LabVIEW 8.6 Bug Fixes, it does appear to be fixed in 8.6.  A possible workaround may be to use a variant for the shared variable's data type and have the description as an attribute of that variant.
Regards,

Jeremy_B

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,403 Views)