Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up an instrument

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, I am trying to set up an ARGOS dc power supply 

http://www.tet.de/argos.html

I am connecting this device serially. I have installed the NI-VISA drivers. I have created an instrument driver for the power supply and have configured the serial configuration.

N

N

I am trying to get a response from the device. I have the device enabled to be controlled externally. However, when i run the application i get an error saying -1074003951 to complete the call chain so i input the visa resource name in Initialize.vi and output dc volts vi. Is this correct?

The ID Query failed.  This may mean that you selected the wrong instrument or your instrument did not respond.  You may also be using a model that is not officially supported by this driver.  If you are sure that you have selected the correct instrument and it is responding, try disabling the ID Query.

This is my first time with labview any advice very helpful

Damien

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 27
(3,062 Views)

Well, if they provide a LabVIEW driver and you have VISA installed .....

Did they also provide a RS232 cable? What did the manual say?

Didi you choose the correct COM port?    (Search for 'loop back test' with the serial write read example found at HELP->Search examples->Hardware In out , serial basic (or advanced) serial write read.....

and...... you can call ARGOS and ask...

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 27
(3,052 Views)

Just had a look at the manual...

check the jumper setting in the power supply, check if the cable is correct, Pin 2,3 and 5  and check that pin 2 and 3 are not swapped!! (standard error if you grab a cable that is flying around in the lab 😉

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 27
(3,047 Views)

HiHenrik,

Thanks for the reply. The power supply is communicating through the basic serial write and read. With the *IDN?\n command i receive

TET,\sARGOS\s500\s1200V/0.5A,\s1042500338,\s1.4\n

However if iuse the command *IDN? i receive no response

In the initialize vi i have renamed the Instrument ID response to

TET,\sARGOS\s500\s1200V/0.5A,\s1042500338,\s1.4\n

The COM ports are correct as well as the serial configuration. However once I run the application i get an error code -1074003951

The ID Query failed.  This may mean that you selected the wrong instrument or your instrument did not respond.  You may also be using a model that is not officially supported by this driver.  If you are sure that you have selected the correct instrument and it is responding, try disabling the ID Query.

Do i disable the error cluster from error code vi or whatsteps should i take?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks Damien

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 27
(3,016 Views)

so the first layers are OK , its a layer 7 or 8 problem 😉

you found out that the querry command of your driver didn't work because of the missing termination character.

one possibility is to add this in every command send , or have the VISA driver do it for you.

After serial int set some more properties:

the termination character to \n

and the

Serial Settings:End Mode for Writes

Short name: ASRL End Out

Requires: Base Package

Classes: Instr, Serial Instr

Specifies the method used to terminate write operations. Valid values include: (0) None, (1) Last Bit, (2) TermChar, (3) Break. The default is (0) None.

Descriptions

(0) None—The write will transmit the exact contents of the user buffer, without modifying it and without appending anything to the data.

(1) Last Bit—The write will send all but the last character with the highest bit clear and then transmit the last character with the highest bit set.

(2) TermChar—The write will send the character specified as Termination Character after the data transmits.

(3) Break—The write will transmit a break after all the characters for the write have sent.

here what I suggest to try:

serialprop.png

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 27
(3,007 Views)

Hi Henrik,

Thanks for being so helpful. I am still receiving an error with that configuration please find attached a picture of the program as it stands now. Do i need to set my power supply to local or remote serially in the basic serial write or read.vi first before i perform the *IDN?\n command.

Thanks

Damien

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 27
(3,003 Views)

Hi Henrik,

Should I have created my instrument as outlined in the link

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/78FDB0C0DA2448E8862573B8005B64ED

Or by going to Tools>Instrumentation>create instrument driver project and use the labVIEW power supply as a template?

Regards,

Damien

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 27
(2,995 Views)

I can't see a picture only a document of a software I dare to use together with the internet 😉

Use PNG for screenshots, even MS paint supports that nowadays 🙂

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 27
(2,990 Views)

If you use the vi's provided with the instrument, ask their support.

In the past I rarely used ready made driver, just because I needed exactly to know what is send and received or their weren't any useful driver.  A good manual should note all what is needed, and if it's not noted in the manual: Request it.

After 5 to 10 instruments you will get used to it 😉

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 27
(2,986 Views)

Is this a better link?

Thanks,

Damien

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 27
(2,975 Views)