From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial to USB converter with GPS error

Solved!
Go to solution

Thanks Peter. 

The LIFA sketch is uploaded to the arduino, but my code is straight VISA since they example that I've modified used that. I don't know how to convert from VISA to the arduino interface that labview has. 

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 27
(754 Views)

Hi parkerb_b,

I recommend posting on the arduino forms at ni.com/arduino. They are supervised by people more familiar with issues specific to the arduino and how it handles serial reads and writes.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 27
(732 Views)

Hey jdeters 79, actually i'm having the same problem with u but i have followed all these discussion and still cant get the things done. Btw i'm using Garmin GPS 18x-5Hz and the attachment shows the wiring diagram. Is it because the power supply? i only knew that usb port will give u 5 VDC input, but in what way? i mean, what should i do to the red cable? or which pin should i connect it to? Really need help here..., i'm really new to this kind of things. i will really appreciate your answer

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 27
(656 Views)

after i tried to add external power source, the program runs nicely but the result is not, it shows data in strange format even strange symbol...., what should i do?

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 27
(644 Views)

Are you sure the parity bit and stop bit settings are correct?

Could it be sending data as binary rather than ASCII?  If you set the indicator to display Hex codes, does it make any more sense?

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 27
(633 Views)

Having worked with GPS strings before, I can assure you that they are, indeed, ASCII characters.  The real question, though: Is the Garmin actually sending real GPS strings, or is it sending something in a proprietary format?  (Garmin does have an SDK btw.)

Maybe you hooked up the power supply incorrectly and fried a UUART?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 27
(620 Views)

RavensFan, parity bit and stop bit are set to be default (Garmin has it owns Library for Labview to run the device), and the hex code still doesn't make any sense hiks3,
Bill, so u suggest me to try using another device? but is it the right thing to add the power supply? and just ignore the voltage given by the laptop? or the power from laptop doesn't get to the GPS device from the first place? how much extra voltage should i use to power the device? if i don't know what voltage should i use it will risk the new device getting broken (again)
anyway, thanks all for your replies, and i'm sorry i'm kinda slow response cause I am not familiar with these things u said (SDK, UUART, ASCII, Hex Codes, etc) so i need to google it first

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 27
(591 Views)