From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial data transmission through RS232

Solved!
Go to solution

Sir,

Can I interface RS232 of PC with PIC16f877A using Labview.? If Yes

Please help me out

Yours Sincerely,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,073 Views)

Can you use the microcontroller to perform the RS-232 communications?  LabVIEW can easily communicate over the RS-232 port of a computer.  If you go to "Help->Find Examples..." in LabVIEW and search for "serial read write", you should be able to find a few examples.

Do you know your communication settings?  Baud Rate?  Start Bits?  Stop Bits?  Handshaking?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,071 Views)

i want to send data by writing 8bit as 1111111 and 00000000 etc .on RS232.

can u help me

Yours sincerely

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,032 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ali211

VISA Write.  Create a String constant for the data to write.  Right click and set it for hex display.  Put in 00 for all 0's.  Put in FF for all 1's.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,030 Views)

I m using prolific USB to serial convertor . Labview is not transmitting and recieving  data through this however it is working with desktop RS232. 

Please help me out

Yours sincerely 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,975 Views)

I m using prolific USB to serial convertor . Labview is not transmitting and recieving  data through this however it is working with desktop RS232. 

Please help me out

Yours sincerely 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,975 Views)

Get a USB to RS-232 serial converter that is not based on the prolific chipset.  There are numerous post in the forums where people have complained about that chipset now working correctly.  People who have used ones based on the FTDI chipset have not had problems.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,969 Views)

I had a similar issue with Windows XP and the Prolific chip set.  I was seeing my one Prolific USB to Serial Com port in Labview, but not the other (I had two plugged in).  I realized I had the Agilent IO software installed.  I uninstalled that and the one Prolific USB to Serial Com port I was seeing in Labview went away.

I reinstalled the Agilent IO, it saw both Prolific USB to Serial Com ports so I attached an instrument to them.  Renamed the instrument to match the Com port name and now I can access both of them in Labview.

What am I getting at?  If you use the Prolific USB to Serial devices set them up using the Agilent IO and Labview will recognize them.  One thing to notice is that in the NI MAX application it was showing zero com ports, while in the Agilent IO I saw both of them. 

Something must we screwy within Labview or the way the Prolific VCP driver is written.

Hope this helps... 

Adam

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,898 Views)