LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial Communications with Allen Bradley PLC 2.30

Does any one know the required pin outs for the serial cable from the PC com port to the Allen Bradley 1771-KG card or directly to the Allen Bradley processor? Any samples on writing TAGs to the registers?
Roy L. Costa
Email: roycosta@hotmail.com
Catalyst Test Engineer
General Motors Warren Tech Center (R & D)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(7,124 Views)
Roy,

The pinout for the 1771-KG card is available in the Allen Bradley PLC-2 Family/RS-232-C Interface Module User Manual. I was able to download it from www.ab.com. I have attached it below.

Chad
Message 2 of 9
(7,123 Views)
Hello Chad
Thanks for the pin out information. I tried that pin out configuration Monday and it did not work. I am pasting a copy of a communication with Allen Bradley in this comment box as well as a communication with another programmer that commented in here as well. Please read it and let me know what you think. Thanks again Chad.
Roy
Everything works well, from the LPD OPC Server to creating TAGS..to using the HMI wizard on the front panel,...but there is no communication with my hardware. An NI Application Engineer came by yesterday and we concluded that this was a hardware ware communication problem. I talked with an Automation Engineer in Austin yesterday and he told me to try RSLinx and see if I could get it to communicate with the hardware. I like that HMI wizard, it is pretty cool! I am pasting a copy of an email I sent to Allen Bradley so you can see a little bit more information about my hardware. thanks for your help again Khalid.
{{{I am having much difficulty in communicating to my PLC 2 communication port or through my RS-232 port on my 1771-KG card. I am using a serial (null modem) cable on com port 1 on my PC. I have Win98 operating system. I am using LabView Datalogging and Supervisory control (Lookout) software to create several HMI?s. Can you please give me the pinouts that I need to communicate with the processor port on the PLC and or the 1771-KG card? Please contact me as soon as possible for I really need to get this to communicate so I can get started on this HMI upgrade. We are using PanelMates as HMI?s, but they are 13 years old and are failing frequently as well as being obsolete. At the present time I am creating new HMI?s but we are planning to do one fuel processing line at a time and replacing the PLC 2.3 with PLC-5 and then we can use the Ethernet module. Please call me at 313-972-4635 I do not have my own email at work so you will need to email any communications to my supervisor Fred Jacobsen he then will pass it on to me. Email: fjacobsen@covantaenergy.com If you have something you can fax me, here is the fax number: 313-871-2835
}}}
Roy L. Costa
Catalyst Test Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(7,123 Views)

Hi,

I am not sure of the hardware part of your question. To write any Tags to your PLC registers, you can either use the HMI Wizard on the Controls or directly use the Write Tag.VI.

Of course, you will have to first browse the AB server and create the Tags for the registers that you're interested in writing to and reading from. The reference manuals will guide you thru this.

Meanwhile, if you have any specific questions, feel free to post 'em here.

Regards,

Khalid 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(7,123 Views)
Hello Khalid

Everything works well, from the LPD OPC Server to creating TAGS..to using the HMI wizard on the front panel,...but there is no communication with my hardware. An NI Aplication Engineer came by yesterday and we concluded that this was a hardward ware communication problem. I talked with an Automation Engineer in Austin yesterday and he told me to try RSLinx and see if I could get it to communicate with the hardware. I like that HMI wizard, it is pretty cool! I am pasteing a copy of an email I sent to Allen Bradley so you can see a little bit more information about my hardware. thanks for your help again Khalid.

I am having much difficulty in communicating to my PLC 2 communication port or through my RS-232 port on my 1771-KG card. I am u
sing a serial (null modem) cable on com port 1 on my PC. I have Win98 operating system. I am using LabView Datalogging and Supervisory control (Lookout) software to create several HMI?s. Can you please give me the pinouts that I need to communicate with the processor port on the PLC and or the 1771-KG card? Please contact me as soon as possible for I really need to get this to communicate so I can get started on this HMI upgrade. We are using PanelMates as HMI?s, but they are 13 years old and are failing frequently as well as being obsolete. At the present time I am creating new HMI?s but we are planning to do one fuel processing line at a time and replacing the PLC 2.3 with PLC-5 and then we can use the Ethernet module.

Please call me at 313-972-4635
I do not have my own email at work so you will need to email any communications to my supercisor Fred Jacobsen he then will pass it on to me.

Email: fjacobsen@covantaenergy.com
Roy L. Costa
Catalyst Test Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(7,123 Views)

Hi Roy,

Looks like you have problems communicating with the PLC. Do you get any alarms in LPD? You must try and see if you can communicate with the proprietary software (RSLinx?) first. I recommend the following resources, in addition to bugging the AB guys:

http://www.ni.com/support/lookout/default.htm

This is a check-list of things which a Lookout user can use to troubleshoot communication problems. Some of these may not be applicable to you.

http://www.control.com/index_html

Post a query on this above site. PLC gurus roam this site!

Good luck.

Khalid 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(7,123 Views)

Hi Khalid,

In order to establish communication with A-B PLC 2/30 and be able to read /write data from/to this PLC using OPC server we have established a DH+ network using a 1785-KA3 Module on PLC side and  a DLPCIe card on PC side. As OPC server we used RSLinx to read/write data from/to PLC. To achieve this goal we also needed to introduce a communication zone to PLC by adding some rungs (snapshots of rungs from Programming Terminal can be provided). After adding these rungs and restarting the PLC, using RSLinx on PC side, the PLC node has been successfully and automatically detected by the software (RSLinx) but the problem is that when we try browsing any data on the PLC using any OPC client (like OPC Quick Client,…) we are not able to see any data available about any block or bit of PLC. Can you help us? 

Regards,

Yasir

@Khalid wrote:

Hi Roy,

Looks like you have problems communicating with the PLC. Do you get any alarms in LPD? You must try and see if you can communicate with the proprietary software (RSLinx?) first. I recommend the following resources, in addition to bugging the AB guys:

http://www.ni.com/support/lookout/default.htm

This is a check-list of things which a Lookout user can use to troubleshoot communication problems. Some of these may not be applicable to you.

http://www.control.com/index_html

Post a query on this above site. PLC gurus roam this site!

Good luck.

Khalid 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,478 Views)

Hi Khalid,

I need your help regarding communication of Allan Bradley PLC 2.30 over DH+ with RsLinks.Case is mentioned below.

In order to establish communication with A-B PLC 2/30 and be able to read /write data from/to this PLC using OPC server we have established a DH+ network using a 1785-KA3 Module on PLC side and a DLPCIe card on PC side. As OPC server we used RSLinx to read/write data from/to PLC. To achieve this goal we also needed to introduce a communication zone to PLC by adding some rungs (I can send snapshots of programming terminal if needed). After adding these rungs and restarting the PLC, using RSLinx on PC side, the PLC node has been successfully and automatically detected by the software (RSLinx) but the problem is that when we try browsing any data on the PLC using any OPC client (like OPC Quick Client) we are not able to see any data available about any block or bit of PLC. Does anyone have any idea about this task?

Regards,

AK

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(5,454 Views)
You've posted to a very old thread and your question has nothing to with LabVIEW. I think you need to refine your Google search.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(5,449 Views)