LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial Communication with A Potentiostat

Hello,

I am New and Unexperienced with Labview, I have a Princeton Applied Research 263A Potentiostat. A rs 232 cable is running from the Potentiostat to a usb port on my computer. I am trying to find instrument drivers for my device, but the computer does not recognize the device.

Any Help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ss 1.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,254 Views)
You are not going to be able to use that to find a serial instrument. Just open MAX and verify that you have a new serial port when you connect the cable. After that, you can use the VISA serial functions. I would suggest using a program such as putty/teraterm/MAX to debug before actually writing any code.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,237 Views)

MAX won't "find" devices unless it has a driver for it.  For example, plugging in an NI USB-6009 will cause MAX to identify it and tell you the port to which it is attached.  You mention an "RS-232 cable" -- this is (generally) not the same as a USB cable.  According to the Web, this PAR device uses GPIB as its communication medium -- what does your manual say?

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,189 Views)

MAX won't "find" devices unless it has a driver for it.  For example, plugging in an NI USB-6009 will cause MAX to identify it and tell you the port to which it is attached.  You mention an "RS-232 cable" -- this is (generally) not the same as a USB cable.  According to the Web, this PAR device uses GPIB as its communication medium -- what does your manual say?

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,185 Views)