LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sensor Mapping VI - Placing Sensors Programmatically

My current setup involves acquiring signals from over 300 sensors. I was able to configure them properly on DAQmx, inputting them into the Sensor Mapping VI with an imported model. The issue lies in placing the sensors themselves. From my understanding, the only way to place a sensor is to drag it onto the model or right click on the model. This becomes difficult when we have ove 300 sensors with variable locations. Is there a way to import co-ordinates from an excel file and place the sensors according to it.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,609 Views)

Hi Muhmmbles,

whenever you talk about some VI of yours you should attach them!

What is "Sensor Mapping VI"?

What kind of model do you import?

What's the issue with placing sensors?

Where do you "drag sensors into a model"?

Dragging 300 sensors can be a hazzle -  but surely you can read some "excel files" (TXT? CSV? XLS(X)?) and create an algorithm to do this stupid job…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,604 Views)

Hey GerdW,

Sorry for the lack of information, I'll try to be more clear.

Sensor Mapping VI is a built in LabVIEW express VI, it can be found in Graphics & Sounds -> 3D Picture Control -> Helpers.

Model is irrelevant, I'd like it to work with different models requiring different sensor placements.

The issue with placing the sensors is the fact that I need to place them manually (right click on the model, after importing it into the Sensor Mapping VI). Since I have about 300 sensors, I would like to place them programmatically. I haven't been able to figure out a way to do this, which is why I'm posting on this forum.

Cheers,

Muhmmbles

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,576 Views)

Hi Muhmmbles,

ahh, now I see what you are talking about…

As with any other ExpressVI too you can open it by right-clicking the ExpressVI and selecting "Open Frontpanel".

Once you have done so you can save a copy of this VI and edit it in any way you like to!

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,552 Views)

I opened the front panel and began playing around with the SubVI. There seems to be a cluster called "long term sensor state", which contains the sensor locations. After playing around with the cluster, I am unable to produce results; any changes that I make in the cluster seem to be reverted whenever I save and close the SubVI. I have searched through help and found someone with the same issue, but no one answered his question: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Sensor-mapping-sensor-locations/td-p/3114698

Essentially the question is, how do I pass in any arbritray number of sensors, of which I know the x, y, and z coordinates, into the long term sensor state cluster.

Cheers,

Muhmmbles

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,538 Views)

I am working with the Sensor Mapping Express VI. I was able to work with it fine - loading a model, placing sensors, inputting an array to mimic sensor values, and outputting a 3D picture all worked fine. I initially placed 5 sensors on it at random locations on the 3D model; again, this worked fine.

I opened it's front panel, turning it into a Sub VI. The Sub VI contains an array cluster called long term sensor state. The first element of this cluster holds the information for sensor id and sensor position in 3D space. It contained the 5 sensors I initially placed. Now, I tried changing these location values and running my VI again, but the changes did not seem to pass through. The output model displayed the sensors at their original locations, rather than the locations I changed them to.

Would anyone know why my changes are not passing through the Sub VI?

Cheers,

Muhmmbles

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,543 Views)

Hi Muhmmbles,

have you tried some debugging with probes and breakpoints?

I remember there were some comparisons on array length for sensor data and other stuff. Maybe you need to adapt that "other stuff" too?

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,499 Views)