From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send ASCII command (STAT) thru ETHERNET connection

Hello everyone, I am trying to send a STAT command and receive back data using a ethernet connection. Can anyone strat me out with this..

Thanks

Rulee
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(5,146 Views)

Send a STAT command to what?

Message 2 of 19
(5,141 Views)

To what instrument? 

The easy way would be to use VISA

1. Use the instrument's IP address as the VISA resource
  2. Use a VISA Write to send your command text string "STAT" with the proper termainator (?).
  3. Use a VISA Read to receive the responce from the instrument
========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 3 of 19
(5,140 Views)
In addition to what instrument/device? There is also the question of the protocol that the device uses to communicate over Ethernet.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 4 of 19
(5,135 Views)

To an ACU which is a control system, I have been using Tera Term followed by a MACRO that I wrote to connect thru ethernet, send stat command and receive data back, Elevation, Azmith, Polar and signal strength.

Rulee
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(5,119 Views)

Here is a screen shot of a sub-vi I use to get information from and to control a Thermotron 8800 thermal chamber through Ethernet.

stat.PNG

Of course you will have to parse the text returned instead of convert string to numbers like I do here.

========================
========================
Message 6 of 19
(5,110 Views)

Great! i will try this..Thanks!

Rulee
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(5,106 Views)
OK, so you are using a telnet connection to the device. You can do the exact same thing using the telnet VIs for LV.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 8 of 19
(5,099 Views)

Built Thermotron 8800 VI WITH VERSION 8.2.1 and keep getting (Selecting Values have wrong type) can someone help. Here is the VI

Rulee
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(5,052 Views)

Well this was meant as an example ot how to comunicate with an instrument over Ethernet using the TCP protocal VI's.

If you actually need to comunicate with a Thermotron SE-8800 thermal chamber controller via Ethernet I will post the full VI set.

In general make your selector an Enumerated type and your case needs to match your selector values with a case for every value.

1e.PNG

2e.PNG

3e.PNG

========================
========================
Message 10 of 19
(5,043 Views)