LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching for Enum text mangles the Enum selection

Solved!
Go to solution

I frequently use Ctrl-F to search for instances of a given state name in my code, and I use Ctrl-G to walk through the findings.  Yesterday, I did this and noticed that each time I hit Ctrl-G to go to the next instance, it was clearing my array of states.  I have not been able to duplicate this exact behavior, but I have demonstrated similar behavior in the attached VI.  Notice that it only occurs when the cluster is type defined.

I installed the LabVIEW 2011 SP1 f1 patch, but the problem persists.

Open the VI, press Ctrl-F, and type "abc".  Then, continue hitting Ctrl-G to watch the behavior.

Search Changes Enum in Cluster Array Test.png

After search and iterating through instances of "abc" [Note: it actually took 2 trips through the instances for the mangling to be complete]:

Search Changes Enum in Cluster Array Test - Mangled.png

Certified LabVIEW Architect
TestScript: Free Python/LabVIEW Connector

One global to rule them all,
One double-click to find them,
One interface to bring them all
and in the panel bind them.
Message 1 of 17
(3,283 Views)

Confirmed. Though I've seen this sort of odd behaviour on previous versions as well. Always with enums.

Message 2 of 17
(3,279 Views)

Spoke to application engineering and the AE is going to create and post a CAR #.  This bug has potential to totally hose applications if the user doesn't instantly realize what is happening.  There is no way to know what state names were changed, so you would basically have to go through your entire application and check the transition logic.  Yikes.

The AE agreed and is filing it as a show stopper.

Message 3 of 17
(3,269 Views)

Hello All,

Car 354380 was filed today regarding this issue

Sam S
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 4 of 17
(3,259 Views)

This bug is extremely frustrating, and as a previous poster pointed out - very destructive.

For apps which rely heavily on enums (i.e. leveraging event-driven state machines), this bug makes the Search feature a HAZARD/LIABILITY rather than TOOL.

I would like to subscribe to this bug for updates, but I can't find the NI bug tracking portal for accessing the CAR number you provided.  Please elaborate on how to do this.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(3,199 Views)

Hey what_tha_G,

Bug fixes are listed in articles, such as the one below, for every new release of LabVIEW. You can check these tables to find out if the bug has been fixed in that version. Otherwise, you'll need to contact NI Support directly for an update.

LabVIEW 2011 Bug Fixes

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/13257/en

Hope this helps!

Ryan S.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(3,175 Views)

Any news on a patch for this bug? Is this going to be solved in 2012 version?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(3,123 Views)

Darn.png

The List of bug fixes in 2012 is here

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(3,115 Views)

Hey All,

I wanted to clarify my previous statement. Each new release of LabVIEW is accompanied by a document that lists bugs that were fixed from the previous version. However, the list of bugs provided in the document is a subset of the total issues fixed. For specific CARs not found in the release document, you'll need to contact NI Support directly or post on the forums.

I am happy to report that this specific bug, CAR 354380, has been fixed in LabVIEW 2012.

Hope this helps!

Ryan S.

Message 9 of 17
(3,071 Views)

Ryan,

Thanks for the good news.  This bug continues to significantly affect my development.  Could you follow up with the PSE to see if the fix is applicable to LV 2011 SP1?  That is, can we get an updated DLL or patch?  At my office, we won't be upgrading to LV 2012 until SP1 releases in February.  Seems like NI could roll a fix for LV 2011 since you've identified the solution to prevent others from discovering this the hard way.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(3,066 Views)