LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scale Object with Panel, but what about inside a Tab control?

To be a bit more spacific i have tables inside of tab controls and the size of the tables does not scale with all the other objects on the frontpanel?
Mark Mutton
Electrical Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(2,590 Views)
Hi Mark,

I don't see the issue you are having with resizing tables within Tabs.  In LabVIEW 8.20, at least, I can place a table or listbox within a tab, select the "scale all objects on the front panel as the window resizes" option mentioned in previous posts, and the table size scales with the window within the tab control.  I am attaching a VI that does just this thing.  It shows that tables and listboxes resize the same way whether they are contained in a Tab  control or not.  Are you using an older version of LabVIEW?

The only problem I can forsee with this implementation is: if the desired look was to maintain a fixed number of columns and rows in a table, then scaling the overall size of the table and it's contents (font size) to change with the Window Size doesn't work. Is this what you are trying to accomplish?

Spex
National Instruments

To the pessimist, the glass is half empty; to the optimist, the glass is half full; to the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be has a 2x safety factor...
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(2,574 Views)
I started this thread because I noticed that there is no way to control the scaling of objects inside a tab control without resorting to property nodes.  The suggestion to use the Scale All Objects feature is not the same thing as the Scale Object feature.  If you have multiple UI elements such as buttons, string controls, etc. in addition to a tab control, the Scall All Objects feature will generally make the application appear "rough around the edges" to put it mildly.  In fact, there are very few cases where I would recommend using the Scale All Objects feature, and I have never seen a need for it.  It is a good way to make a front panel get very ugly very fast.

The issue here is that we cannot enforce the "Group" relationship with controls inside a tab and the tab itself.  Look at Excel or the Open Office spreadsheet application.  The spreadsheet area itself is like a tab control (if there are multiple sheets in the workbook).  When you scale the window, you see more cells, but the toolbars and status bars all stay the same size, they just move along with the window to allow the tab area to grow.

I humbly recommend that NI folks stop suggesting the Scale All Objects feature.  It gives LabVIEW-made applications a bad image!

Dan Press
Certified LabVIEW Architect
PrimeTest Automation
Message 13 of 17
(2,563 Views)
Dan Press has hit the nail exactly on the head.  It is ok to use the scale all object option when the vi is simple, however, when you get into larger more complex vi's with a variety of containers and indicators this option does not work.  Is there some place on the web to suggest this to ni engineers for the next version of labview?   Dan,  If you have a couple free minutes i would like to ask you some questions about the NI certification program my e-mail is mmutton@imsysinc.com.
Mark Mutton
Electrical Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(2,549 Views)
Hi,
Has any one found a solution for this in 2012LV.
I have the same issue
Plz help
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(1,681 Views)

This is an old thread but to my knowledge, no solution has been posted yet. Has any progress been made here? I am running LV 2018. I have the same issue and I have not been able to resolve it.

To clarify: I have a complex UI for post-possessing data. To keep my UI manageable I use a combination of splitter bars and tab controls. The different pages of the tab controls are organized with with different plots and indicators/controls on each. For front panel objects NOT located on a tab control I can following the instructions contained here:

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019KbdSAE&l=en-CA

and have the objects scale accordingly when I run my program on different sized monitors.

However, when I follow the same instructions for the front pannel objects on the pages of the tab control, they don't scale. When you group front panel objects on a tab control the 'scale object with pane' option is not available. 

Any help with this situation would be greatly appreciated. 

Sam

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(1,136 Views)

For anyone still following this thread, I found a potential solution available here....

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Resizing-controls-on-a-tab-control-within-a-pane/td-p/1520244?profi...

Message 17 of 17
(1,116 Views)