LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving Front Panel Data

Hello

I would like to save values of control objects (default values) of my VI. So, for example, each user can save his own system settings.

I managed to set values programmatically to default, and with the next call they will be the same. But the problem is, if this vi is running as a subVi, it won't work, because the subVi must be in edit mode to make some changes of the vi property (default values). I attached my example (LV8)

I guess I can solve this problem by using vi-server method? Unfortunately I have absolutely no experience. Can somebody help me? Maybe there is another solution of this problem?

Thanks for any help

Woodi
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,991 Views)
Why not just write the settings to a file and read them if necessary?
Using LV8.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't be afraid to rate a good answer... 😉
Message 2 of 7
(2,987 Views)

Yes I thought of that to.

Saving as cluster? I am using this method in other vi's, which is working well.

I just wanted to do something more elegant. Maybe this is a stupid idea. If can't figure out to do that with the "default setting" method, i will do it as usual.

What is the best way to save such kind of data? I often have the problem, that (with the cluster method) old settings can not be used, if the cluster changes.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,985 Views)

I usually use two methods. Either ini files or XML files. If I know there will be changes every now and then, I use the ini file. If the datastructure remains almost untouched, I use XML files.

For more elegant handling of the data I mostly use clusters and define a strict type def. So every instance of the cluster is updated. You can write both types of files if the data comes out of the cluster. There is a little bit more work to do if you use ini files than XML files.

Anyway - this is my personal opinion and there are lots of others here in the forums. Finally you have to decide what is best for you.

Using LV8.0
Message 4 of 7
(2,980 Views)
How does the "ini-files-method" work?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,974 Views)
You can simply use the "configuration file" vis. I think there should also be examples on this topic.
Using LV8.0
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,972 Views)
Yes, thank you. I just found it.

Thank you for your help!

Woodi
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7