cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save data directly to Excel

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi!

Often when I save data, I saved them as a text file. But sometimes, you need to show them directly as excel file. In that case, save the data first, and then read them as a report to present in excel.
What I want to know is why you can't save files directly in Excel. It is just for curiosity.

Thanks for your answers,

Best Regards,

Samuel G

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,324 Views)
You can save files directly in Excel. You can use the report generation toolkit or ActiveX. Did you even do a search?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,317 Views)

Well,

I have done many searches, I've been using Labview a long time, so please don't be ironic. From someone like you, I would expect a very well founded response.

I have seen that many users don't use the Report Generation Toolkit. I have used the report generation and have many problems, because it leaves open the file where one is save the data, which is troublesome for the end user.

I hope someone can give me a well founded answer.

Best Regards,

SG

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,303 Views)

You might not be making the right calls. I use Excel for reports in labview and do not have the issue you are reporting with report file being left open. Do you have a specific question? Or what exactly are you looking for?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(3,293 Views)
Search the boards. There are several hundred posts on using excel. Well founded enough?
Message 5 of 15
(3,292 Views)

I have always used Active X for writing to excel and never had any issues.  Can you be more specific or show the code your having problems with?  Sorry, but I agree with Dennis, did you do a search?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,284 Views)
Actually, going a search for 'excel', returns 6000 posts.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(3,278 Views)

I think Dennis should get a Kudos for his Well Founded Answer!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,273 Views)

I use ActiveX to access Excel all the time.  I have found that if you are not careful to close EVERY reference you either get or create you will leave an instance of Excel open.  If you are using Excel invisibly you won't realize this has happened until you start seeing problems accessing your file.  In that case you need to use Windows Task Manager to kill the process, it won't show up in the Applications window.

Kelly Bersch
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Kudos are always welcome
Message 9 of 15
(3,262 Views)

One of those 6000 posts was from me, about two weeks ago.  I reworked an example given in the LabVIEW Example Finder using the Report Generator Toolkit, absolutely no ActiveX. The trick is to not use Excel templates, but to simply open an Excel report, write the data, then save the Report with the Excel name you want to use and close Excel.  I'll try to paste a link here ...

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Revised-quot-Generate-Excel-Report-quot-Example/m-p/2699083#M801667 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(3,227 Views)