LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STEPPER MOTOR & LABVIEW

Hi,

I am trying to RUN a stepper using labview from a parallel port. I came across this tutorial from the NET. Can I run the stepper with labview using this tutorial as a guide?

First off a little information about the parallel port on your computer. The parallel port has 8 output pins available via the DATA Port (D7-D0). It also has 5 input pins (S7-S3) accessible through the Status Port and 4 more output pins (C3-C0)accessible through the Control Port.

The pins that we are interested in are D7-D0. These 8 data pins are used to control the 2 stepper motors (4 per motor). D7-D4 are used to control motor A and D3-D0 are used to control motor B. Each data pin corresponds directly to one of the motor windings.

To rotate motor A, simply send high (1) values to D7,D6,D5,D4 in the following manner 1000, 0001, 0100, 0010 (this would rotate motor A four steps).

Motor B follows the same pattern with the values being sent to D3, D2, D1, D0.

The continual repetition of the pattern steps the motors. The rate at which the members of the pattern are produced determines the speed of the motor shaft.

Is the following statement correct?

To rotate motor A, simply send high (1) values to D7,D6,D5,D4 in the following manner 1000, 0001, 0100, 0010 (this would rotate motor A four steps).
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,480 Views)
I do not think so.

I think it should be "1000, 0100, 0010, 0001".

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,473 Views)
If it is "1000, 0100, 0010, 0001" clockwise, then is it 0001,0010,0100,1000 counterclockwise
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,455 Views)
I agree.

ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,451 Views)
I have another stepper motor data sheet that has the following table.

Step A B C D
1 on on off off
2 of on on off
3 of of on on
4 on of of on

Should the signals be 1100, 0110, 0011 & 1001 ? 1 = on and 0 = off ?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,413 Views)
"I think [he's] got it!" (My Fair Lady).

Ben
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,410 Views)
BTW

why 1958?

That was the year of my birth and it just keeps catching my eye.

Curious,

Ben
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,408 Views)
I am using both RS 217-3611 stepper motor driveboard & LM 18293 four channel push pull stepper driver from NS to RUN a four phase unipolar stepper motor using labview. I understand how to write a labview program for LM 18293 four channel push pull stepper driver from NS.

However I have difficulty in writing a program in labview for RS 217-3611 stepper motor driveboard .

Q1: Why does the RS 217-3611 stepper motor driveboard have PINS for STEP, DIRECTION, CLOCK and PRESET? The LM 18293 does not have this. Thus it is easier to write a labview code for the LM 18293.

Q2: Does anyone know how to write a labview code for the RS 217-3611 stepper motor driveboard ?
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,383 Views)
Step & Direction input is a common way to drive stepper motors but requires a 'translator' to change the step & direction signals into stepper pole energizing signals. Most drives (like the RS 217-3611 you have) have this circuitry built in. The following link shows some examples of 'translators':

http://eio.com/jasstep.htm#translators

There is another discussion forum which discussed controlling stepper motors from a parallel port and also has a link on how to program the port in LabVIEW:

Link

National Instruments motion controllers do have all the circuitry built in for trajectory generation (smooth acceleration/deceleration moves), provide a quick way to develop a motion system, and come with high level vi's for easy programming in LabVIEW. They will interface directly with a step & direction drive system.

http://www.ni.com/motion/

however, if you are on a very limited budget and need only slow and simple stepper motion, using the parallel port will work by turning the DIO lines on and off in software.

Good luck with your project!
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,349 Views)