LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STARTED IT, BUT STILL NEED HELP -- INPUTTTING CHARACTERS FROM LOADED FILE INTO TABLE, SELECTING STRINGS FROM TABLE AND PLACING IN NEW TABLE, SAVING NEW TABLE TO SPREADSHEET FILE

I AM TRYING TO IMPORT CHARACTERS FROM A TAB DELIMITED FILE INTO A TABLE ON LABVIEW.  ONCE THE DATA IS IN THE TABLE I WANT TO BE ABLE TO SELECT INDIVIDUAL STRINGS FROM THE TABLE AND PLACE IT IN A NEW TABLE.  WHEN I CLICK ON A STRING I WOULD LIKE THE SELECTED STRING TO SHOW IN A TEXT BOX LABELED 'SELECTED STEP'  AFTER ALL THE SELECTED STRINGS IS IN THE TABLE I WOULD LIKE TO SAVE THE NEW TABLE AS ANOTHER SPREADSHEET -- TAB DELIMITED -- FILE, MAKING IT ACCESSIBLE TO OPEN.  HERE IS WHAT I HAVE SO FAR.  I CAN INPUT DATA INTO THE TABLE, BUT I CAN ONLY TRANSFER ONE STRING INTO THE TABLE I WOULD LIKE TO BE TO INPUT MULTIPLE STRINGS.    ALSO WHENEVER I TRY SAVING THE FILE, IT ALWAYS SAVES A UNKNOWN FILE, HOW CAN I GET IT TO SAVE AS A SPREADSHEET FILE.  THANKING ALL OF YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,207 Views)
Pondered,
   The question you are asking is the same one that you asked in: http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=132508#M132508, to which I supplied a revised version of the original vi you used (which was modified from the original one I supplied to an earlier thread). A couple of questions: 1) What does my latest not do that is in your question, 2) Why are you starting yet another thread about the same problem?  We are here trying to help, it makes it a lot easier if you keep the same problem in the same thread, it reduces duplication of effort from those that might not have been following the previous thread(s).  Those of us that don't have our "names in blue" are just doing this "for fun" (the blue names are NI employees, who may still be doing it "for fun"), and it makes it more fun if it doesn't seem (correctly or not) that our attempts are ignored.  If an answer doesn't help, or seems incomplete, post a little more detail to the same thread so that the original respondent, or someone new, can provide more information, or understand your problem better.

P.M.

Message Edited by LV_Pro on 07-20-2005 01:20 PM

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,185 Views)
LV PRO..... THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP.  I ONLY ENTERED THE SAME THREAD AGAIN WHEN I THOUGHT THAT MY FIRST ONE GOT OVER LOOKED.  THE REPLIES THAT YOU GIVEN ME WORKED. THANKS!   THE ONLY THING IS THAT WHEN I SAVE A FILE, IT SAVES IT AS AN UNKNOWN FILE TYPE AND THERE IS NO OPTION TO CHANGE TO A ANOTHER FILE.  IS THERE A WAY TO CHANGE ON LABVIEW OR WOULD I JUST HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL I OPEN THE FILE TO CHANGE IT TO MY DESIGNATED FILE TYPE?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,175 Views)

When you save the file, the file dialog box allows you to name the file anything you want. If you make the file name end in a recognized extension, .txt for instance, it will then show up in Windows as a text file. Since the files are "tab" delimited, you could call them ".xls" and they would then open in Excel or whatever spreadsheet program you have. You can also go into the program and on the "open file" sub-vi connect a constant to the "default name" connector to give you a starting name when you go to save.

P.M.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 5 of 5
(2,168 Views)