From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPI Express VI not found

Hi, I want to communicate with a hardware using SPI protocal. I've installed myRIO Module, but I didn't find the myRIO or SPI Express VI on my function Palette. I don't have a NI myRIO hardware right now, is that the reason the module didn't show up? And is there any way to get my work done without using a NI myRIO hardware? I have a NI usb 6211. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,868 Views)

Hi.

From the project explorer right click on your project, than <New>, <Target and Devices>. Set <New target or device> check box and than select your myRIO type. After create New VI from your target. In this VI you can find your SPI and myRIO Express VI`s IF YOU HAVE ALL DRIVERS INSTALLED.

Best Regards,

Edgar Shadyan.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,836 Views)

@cli21 wrote:

And is there any way to get my work done without using a NI myRIO hardware? I have a NI usb 6211. 

Did you install the myRIO toolkit because you intend to purchase a myRIO, or because you saw that it has functions for SPI and you hoped it would work with your hardware that is not a myRIO?

You can do SPI at slow speeds with the 6211 but you have to do all the timing logic in software. Occasionally someone posts an example of such code here on the forum, for example https://forums.ni.com/t5/Digital-I-O/Implementing-I2C-or-SPI-with-Pxi6508-in-Labview/td-p/554383

Another option is a dedicated SPI device such as the NI USB-8451

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,792 Views)
Also, some of the fairly low-cost USB to FTDI adapters support SPI using the libmpsse library.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,758 Views)