LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP labview 6.0i

Is it possible to send an e-mail directly from LabView 6.0i, via SMTP server?
I want to send only text.
How about the autentication needed on some servers?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,616 Views)
I no longer have 6i but since the "i" stood for all the new internet enabled capabilities, it might well have the SMTP VIs that I see in 7.1. Have a look in the communication palette and see if you find something. (Or search the palette for "SMTP").

Still, SMTP authentication will not be supported, just plain SMTP.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,609 Views)

Hello,

The SMTP VIs are not a part of LabVIEW 6.x as they are for 7.x.  Upgrading would get you those, or if you cannot for some reason, they are available through the internet toolkit.  ni.com is the place to go if you're interested in either of those options!

Thank you and best regards!

JLS

Best,
JLS
Sixclear
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,598 Views)
Just to complete the answer for authentication not with the 6i version of the internet toolkit - there was no native support for authentication.

"Use the SMTP E-mail VIs to send electronic mail, including attached data and files, using the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP). LabVIEW does not support authentication for SMTP. You cannot use the SMTP E-mail VIs to receive information. The SMTP E-mail VIs use the Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME) format to encode the message. In this format, you can send multiple documents, including binary data files, within an email. You also can describe properties of the individual attachments, such as which character set a text document uses. Refer to the LabVIEW Help for information about emailing data from a VI."

You can find more here: -
Emailing data from VIs

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/manuals/320999E-01/18network_07/
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,591 Views)

Yes it is possible, but never mind the SMTP VIs. A better solution is any one of a number of ActiveX SMTP components like the one from OstroSoft. The problem is that the advent of server-based spam and virus filters makes it much harder to send SMTP messages that make it through to the receiving party. Check around, there are a bunch of good alternatives. I mentioned the OstroSoft product because it's cheap (or in some cases free) and is easy to work with, but there are others that are probibly just as good.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,582 Views)