LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP Email Error 54

The VI is supposed to send an email to a recipient. I use LabVIEW 2011 full development suite, running on Win 7 Pro.

I opened a blank VI, went to Data Communication -> Protocols -> SMTP Email -> SMTP Email Send Message.vi

The inputs of this VI are shown below: I put in the mail server, recipient  email address, my email address as return address.

where does it say I shoud put my email password? Also, wouldn't that be a secondary issue since it can't even access the server IP address to begin with?

I know the recipient should see an email from my email address, therefore at somepoint the VI shown below should have access to my email, but I don't see

any  password field.

Email.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 32
(1,529 Views)

Geez mate... how do you expect something to send a mail without using a password on a password protected account? Maybe it works for anonymous smtp services, gmail, live and your company server are not like that.

As I said the VI produces error 54 for me as well, which means something wrong with it as otherwise my PC has no problems sending mails via smpt from labview.

Let me know once you are about to follow what I requested and then we can continue. Otherwise best of luck.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 32
(1,525 Views)

Thank you for your help. 

I did try to open the example, but I am still baffled because the VI that I posted, does NOT have a password field. At the same time, believe me, I DO understand that a password is needed.

The problem is LabVIEW's documentation then. Why wouldn't it say that one needs another VI in conjunction with the one I have shown that takes in a password. 

Then what is the purpose of SMTP Email Send Message.vi?? Where is the input that connects to another VI or a field that takes in a password? In fact none of the functions under SMTP Email has a password input!!

I have written simple codes that access a database, and those VIs do show input for connection string, username and password to the database, these email VIs don't have that. What is the purpose then? To be only used with anonymous and open servers??

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 32
(1,521 Views)
The email functions changed with 2012 or 2013. Prior to that, you could not use them with email accounts that required authentication (i.e. gmail). There have been solutions posted in the past that provide this functionality. Please do a search.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 32
(1,517 Views)

Hi Dennis,

To sum it up, should I then give up on using the following VIs (shown below) altogether as long as the SMTP server that I am using requires authentication?

I have been browsing the NI forums and the web, but it seems that it is the same piece of code (see the two links) that has been circling that doesn't really do anythiny (actually send an email).

What is the alternative workaround? Where should I start? Most of my search on the forums does not yield feedback that has a tutorial nature. Mostly because people write code and ask questions

that pertain to their immediate need. That is why whenever I post questions, I try to simplify my question to the most basic form that is general enough and everyone can benefit from the answer.

I think one of the LabVIEW gurus should post a simple thought process - outline, diagram, with some code - that helps one understand how to start from grounds up and build a simple

VI that sends an email through an smpt server that requires authentication. Why this particular topic? Because it is a very common problem and a gross overlook on NI's part to create these

ostensibly powerful and simple SMTP Email VIs, but none of them useful because almost all SMTP servers require authentication. It's like producing race cars with square tires.

It reminds me of when I was using LabVIEW 2010 and could not use the DB Tools VIs to connect to an Oracle database, not directly anyway, without a clever workaround that someone suggested to me on these forums. BTW, I did talk to NI about that, and sure enough it was a known problem and LabVIEW 2011 took care of that. Fortunately for me, I was in the warrantly period and got my LabVIEW upgraded to 2011 free of charge. But seriously NI? DB Tools couldn't recognize Oracle databases? funny indeed.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/484272384C2960AA8625749E006512EE

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/1A9CBC2F88FB4A1B86257451004988F3

Untitled.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 32
(1,500 Views)
Have you tried the .net example? That is what I was thinking of.

The version of the email functions were released at a time when a large number of servers did not require authentication. They were finally upgraded and work fine. If you had maintained your ssp (highly recommended), you could be using those.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 32
(1,492 Views)

What does your last statement mean? If I had maintained my ssp? What is ssp? With ssp I would have been able to upgrade to a newer version of labview

that addresses the authentication problem with the SMTP Email VIs? 

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 32
(1,486 Views)
SSP is the Software Support Program. One year of support is included in a purchase. That is how you got a free upgrade to 2011. Whoever's name is purchaser would have received a notice to pay for another year.

To bring your support up to date, I believe you have pay for all the years you missed. Check with your sales engineer.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 32
(1,483 Views)

Thanks. 

I will continue to leave this post as incomplete. Hopefully, someone will post a simple (and instructive) set of steps for sending an email using LabVIEW 2011 or earlier going through smtp servers that require

authentication. As for me, I'll contiue to search the forums and maybe I can come across something new and not the same useless (for me anyway) code that's been circulating.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 32
(1,478 Views)
You yourself posted links to a set of steps to send email with authentication so I don't understand your comment. Why do you think it is worthless?
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 32
(1,474 Views)