From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIMPLE QUESTION : Is there any KEYBOARD Input device control for MyRIO project in LabView????

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a simple question :

Is there any KEYBOARD Input device control for "MyRIO project" in LabView????

I can find it when I create from a blank project, but I can't find it for MyRIO project.

I need that to control my Robot (my robot use MyRIO-1900 device), to simplify the way to control my robot.

Please Help

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,586 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author KemalJayadi

I am happy to defer to those with more knowledge than I on this, but it was my understanding that the myRIO was a Real-Time Platform, with a Real-Time OS.  The design philosophy of such an OS is to have determinism, a response within a guaranteed (small) time window, so that data acquisition and control algorithms would be precise and accurate.  Keyboard interactions, in general, don't fit well in this model, so it is not surprising that you can't find keyboard input control.  Your keyboard interaction takes place on the host (as during development on the host), with communication with the RIO via a communication link, such as TCP/IP.

Bob Schor

Message 2 of 7
(3,504 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author KemalJayadi

Just as Bob Schor basically said. Which keyboard would you want to control from a myRIO program? There isn't any keyboard on the myRIO I have, and I'm pretty sure yours isn't different.

And if you think about having the myRIO read the keyboard on your computer, how should it do that? There is no way for an external device to intercept your keyboard except with some troyan/root kit like device driver in your Windows system, which is most likely the last thing you would want to have on your computer. Besides the myRIO is happy to execute your program even without your host computer switched on, so your keyboard is not even functional in that case.

If you talk about connecting a keyboard to the USB connector of the myRIO that won't really fly well either, since the USB connection on the myRIO is a device connector and the Linux OS on it treats it as such. That means the myRIO is itself a device and the OS drivers do not provide host capabilities to connect another device like a keyboard to it. If you are very versed in Linux kernel hacking you could certainly change that, but that is another story and belongs on a different forum (Linux kernel device driver development and use). 

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 3 of 7
(3,493 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

If you talk about connecting a keyboard to the USB connector of the myRIO that won't really fly well either, since the USB connection on the myRIO is a device connector and the Linux OS on it treats it as such.

There is another jack for a standard USB right next to the device jack which could be used.  But this still might require some installing of special drivers onto the Linux RT.  And even then, I do not know of any device input for any RT system and Event Structures likely will not work either for the myRIO since it does not have a UI.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 7
(3,487 Views)

It definitely would require installation or at least enabling of a keyboard driver in the Linux RT OS and then you still don't have any VIs to access that. Someone would have to write the equivalent of the shared library necessary for the keyboard VIs specifically compiled for the Linux RT system (the myRIO uses an ARM CPU so the LabVIEW for desktop Linux shared library can in no way work, although even without the CPU difference it is unlikely that it would work without trouble).

Considereing that this is supposed to be used as a realtime system, I don't think this is going to be considered as a standard functionality that NI will develop and include in an upcoming release.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 5 of 7
(3,484 Views)

Oh, so thats why it hasn't the keyboard input device control for MyRio project.

Thanks for your information.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,482 Views)

You might be able to use a joystick with the myRIO. Not all joysticks will work, this KB lists 3 that have been tested. If you have a joystick laying around, feel free giving it a try.

Ren H.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
Message 7 of 7
(3,458 Views)