LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SECS / GEM -- anybody using it?

I know NI has a link to a company that is supposed to provide a SECS/GEM module for LabVIEW, but when I go to that site, the info isn't there. Even an email to the company didn't help. Do any of you use the SECS/GEM protocol in the messages you send to equipment? Do you have any samples? How about just a text string showing what it looks like?

thanx
Richard

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(7,358 Views)
Broken Arrow-

The company that (used to) produce the toolkit is called VI-Technology. I can no longer find any reference to this toolkit on thier site so they may no longer produce it.

Xaq
Message Edited by Support on 05-26-2010 01:44 PM
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(7,347 Views)
same here, thanks for the reply. I'll try emailing again.
Richard

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(7,340 Views)
Did you ever locate the toolkit? I am looking at starting a project that requires communication with SECS/GEM equipment. Let me know what you found and how your application went.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(7,114 Views)
Joe,
VI Technology no longer supports the SECS/GEM toolkit that they made. I worked at a company last year where they bought the toolkit, knwoing that VI Tech would not support it. Some of the VI's in the toolkit are password protected. As far as I know, a year later, the company I was with has been unable to deploy SECS/GEM with LabVIEW with that toolkit, but the devloper was new to LabVIEW.
Richard

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(7,088 Views)

Hi,

SECS/GEM connectivity can be hardly achieved using OPC since SECS/GEM interface is closely linked to the application business logic. This is particularly true for 300mm like interfaces.

A COTS SECS/GEM library can be integrated into LabVIEW as a DLL using "Call library function node" VI.

Marc ENGEL

TMI-Tech France

http://www.tmitech.com

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(6,906 Views)

SECS/GEM support for LabView is supported by the PEERGroup using OPC. 

Here is a reference on the National Instruments website:   http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/A941ADBE164549278625697C00786C31

Here is the direct reference: http://www.peergroup.com/Products/GEM4Tools.aspx

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(6,554 Views)

I have manufactored a SECS/Gem interface with full capabilties using all SECS functions.  You can use this software in many ways TCP/IP; Serial and HSMS.  Please contact me via email at tracylasmus@gmail.com if you would like to purchase a copy.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,268 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,946 Views)

Hi Richard,

We have recently interfaced Agil'GEM from Agileo Automation with LabVIEW. It is very straightforward since LabVIEW can natively call .NET Assemblies using .NET 4.0 and Agil'GEM is a full .NET assembly that implements SECS-I, HSMS, SECS-II and GEM SEMI standards.

It is just required to pay attention to a few limitations in the .NET API supported by LabVIEW but this can be easily overcome.

Marc

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,030 Views)