LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCPI Commands

You can probably "brute force it" where you and your code do all the work, but most modern O'scopes have an amazing amount of internal utility processing for "common" functions. There probably wouldn't be a generic SCPI command for this, but the specific instrument may have a command specific to it that will. This is where delving into the driver mentioned before, or the instrument's manual would help. I haven't used that particular instrument, nor have I programmed an o'scope recently, but the last one I did (either a Tek or Agilent one) had an impressive amount of built in signal processing utilities.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 21 of 27
(1,016 Views)

See Here:

Start on pg 10

Almost all Agilient programming manuals contain an identical section (The US Military required it before they would purchase this new way of controlling equipment)

Find one in you native language and read it from the minds of the H-P engineers that wanted it to work in the first place.

A Lot of other companies (Like LeCroy) assume you read those pages from Agilient manuals and save the forrests by omitting a basic SCPI Primer in their manuals.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 22 of 27
(1,016 Views)

@inuyasha84 wrote:

I hope this could help someone. I have found the Command for the Peak-to-Peak. In reality it does a lot of mathematical analysis.
The command is PAVA? PKPK; if u need other mathematical analysis you can see the 64Xi manual at page 198.

Now  that  I found this solution starting from tomorrow i'll try to see if it is possible to realize my first idea: acquire a vector and do an analysis on it.

MEASure:

might be a good place to startSmiley Wink

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 23 of 27
(1,015 Views)

Thank you guys. Tomorrow I'll give a look now it is time to go home 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 27
(1,010 Views)

Hi Inuyasha84,

Too bad you are on the other side of the planet from me, or you would be done with this already.

In your pdf viewer, you can search on items to find the right commands in the manual.

Teledyne LeCroy also has free software you can install on your PC that will let you control the scope.  There is a terminal window that you can use to test commands.

Here is a link to the web page to get "WaveStudio"

Feel free to email me directly with any questions or challenges you are having. (No need to bother the folks in the NI forums with this, it is not a LabVIEW issue, it is an issue with finding and testing the right commands for your device and application).

Leonard.Brown@TeledyneLeCroy.com

Thanks to everyone for attempting to help!  It is great to see there are so many folks willing to lend a hand.

Here is a link to our Remote Control Manual:

http://www.lecroy.com/files/manuals/WM-RCM-E_Rev_D.pdf

Here is one to our Automation Manual:
http://www.lecroy.com/files/manuals/Entire_X-Stream_Automation_Manual.pdf

And finally, here is one for the Automation Command Reference Manual:
http://www.lecroy.com/files/manuals/Automation_Command_Ref_Manual_WR.pdf

The Remote Control Manual will have the IEEE 488 (GPIB) commands (SCPI too). These are all written to the device as a string. (This is how you are communicating from LabVIEW already with NI-VISA).

The Automation Manual will introduce you to the XStream Browser (an interactive application on the scope) and the Automation Commands. (The automation commands can be used when there is no equivalent remote command).

The Reference Manual will cover most of the Automation Commands.

The XStream browser introduction can be found in the remote manual on page 72 and in the Automation Manual on page 1-5. (I recommend getting familiar with the browser. It will eliminate the need for the Automation documentation).

When you send an automation command in the 488 format, (Sent as a string) it has to be sent with the VBS command (covered in the remote control manual on page 71 and in more detail on page 248).

It is also covered in the Automation Manual on page 1-28 (This actually shows the syntax to use)

And of course, I am available from 8am to 5pm Pacific Time, and I am happy to help out!

Leonard Brown

Applications Engineer (and ex- Certified LabVIEW Architect)

Teledyne LeCroy

1-800-553-2769

Message 25 of 27
(991 Views)

There's nothing wrong with familiarizing yourself with SCPI programming. Almost every SCPI-based instrument driver I've downloaded has either tried to do too much (sacrificing efficiency) or too little (limiting functionality). I still write a driver from scratch with the functionality I need - using the downloaded driver for a reference, and the manufacturer's interface and a GPIB/serial sniffer for insight.

Message 26 of 27
(973 Views)

Thank you leonard. I appreciated your help.

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 27
(950 Views)