From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Runtime xControl caption change

Solved!
Go to solution

Is it possible to modify the xControls captions dynamically durning run time? I'm learning how to use xControls and I am having troubles changing the captions outside of the xControl. I want the VI using the xControl to be able to dynamically change the caption of the individual controls and indicators within the xControl. I have tried creating an array of refNum's for my data and tying the refnum controls and indicators of the xControl Facade to this, but it has failed miserable. Is it possible to create a methode that will allow me to modify the caption of individual controls within the xControl during run time?

Engineering - The art of applied creativity  ~Theo Sutton
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,634 Views)

Hi Mr. Question,

Thanks for sharing your problem with the community. Have you read through the following article:<http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3198>?

I will look into this and I will let you know when I have more information.

Regards,

Dan Richards

Message Edited by Dan_R on 10-02-2008 10:45 PM
Dan Richards
Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,605 Views)
Solution
Accepted by MrQuestion

If I were you I create a seperate property for every GUI part that you want to be able to rename.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
Message 3 of 6
(3,599 Views)
I tried multiple approaches and creating a property to modify the caption is as near that I could get. Thank you for the help.

Engineering - The art of applied creativity  ~Theo Sutton
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,553 Views)

Hi,

I'm glad to hear you solved your problem. xControls can be pretty tricky and it's not something I hear about very often and it was difficult to find much information about them. Feel free to share more information about your solution. Either way, thanks for sharing your issue and take care.

Regards,

Dan Richards

Dan Richards
Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,531 Views)

Hi all,

I revive this old post because I have a question related to it:

- I have a XControl and I want to update its caption depending on the data that needs to be displayed.

- I tried to do that by getting the Refnum from the "Container State" cluster and using a property node to change the text of the caption (Caption.Text). I do this in the "Data Change" event case since which caption I need to display is encoded in the data itself. The flag "Data Changed" is set to true in the Action cluster.

Running the VI, I see that the property node is executed with no error, but the caption never changes.

I read the white paper on XControls, but I'd like not to use a prpoerty node if possible.

Thanks in advance for your help !

(2,743 Views)