LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running out of memory - not accessing Virtual Memory

Hi there,

I am working on a vision application, and trying to process very large images.

Environment:

• LabVIEW 2014 (14.0f1) 64-bit
  • Vision Development Module 2014
  • Vision Acquisition Software 2014

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit Settings:

Physical RAM = 8GB

Virtual RAM Settings:

• Unchecked: "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives"
  • Checked: "Custom Size"
  • Initial Size (MB): 12094
  • Maximum Size (MB): 24188

I read in a sequence of images in the LabVIEW application and stitch it together.  I observe (via Task Manager) the physical memory rise up to approx 7.6GB, and then I am getting the "Out of Memory Error".

So it doesn't seem to be accessing the virtual memory I have allocated? Is there a setting for this that I am missing?

Thanks

Christopher Farmer

Certified LabVIEW Architect and LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
https://wiredinsoftware.com.au

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,543 Views)

Hello Chris, 

as I can see you are using LabVIEW in 64bits and running an initial size of 24G. In order to help you I would like you to check this link: 

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/AC9AD7E5FD3769C086256B41007685FA  

Please let me know if this information is helpful. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,138 Views)

I'm not sure this is relevant.

I meant "I'm not sure MY POST was relevant."

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,124 Views)

I understand the basics of memory paging, but I couldn't find an answer that, if a picture was bigger than your physical RAM, if only part of that image could be swapped to virtual memory.  (In other words, can you have a chunk of data larger than your physical memory?)

My guess is you can have a whole bunch of chunks smaller than your RAM add up to more than your RAM, but no one chunk can be bigger than your RAM (or at least RAM - kernal).

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,113 Views)

Thanks for the link Supertramp.  I had read through that already.

Unfortunately it does not help.  It is just a basic description.

Christopher Farmer

DQMH Trusted Advisor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,082 Views)

Thanks billko.

I also couldn't find any information on it, but I think you're probably right, with regard to chunks of memory.  Mind you, I was dealing with several large images, not just ONE image, so I would have thought this should have worked.

I have since optimised my memory management so that I don't exceed 8GB at the moment, however it makes me less than confident for future systems with regard to promoting that LabVIEW 64-bit can use very large amounts of virtual memory...

Christopher Farmer

DQMH Trusted Advisor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,077 Views)

@Chris_Farmer wrote:

Thanks billko.

I also couldn't find any information on it, but I think you're probably right, with regard to chunks of memory.  Mind you, I was dealing with several large images, not just ONE image, so I would have thought this should have worked.

I have since optimised my memory management so that I don't exceed 8GB at the moment, however it makes me less than confident for future systems with regard to promoting that LabVIEW 64-bit can use very large amounts of virtual memory...

At one point, I thought you said you stitched tham all together into one big picture.  Regardless, I don't think you can do heavy image processing with only 8 GB of physical memory at any rate, whether LabVIEW is the application performing it or not.

I don't recall LabVIEW ever being promoted for being able to use large amounts of virtual memory.  It's just able to access memory above 4 GB.  It's still up to the user to use the available physical memory wisely.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,064 Views)

Yes sorry, you're right.  I did stitch them together, but from memory (pardon the pun) the system was falling over before I even reached that point.  It's like you have to exceeded all of the DRAM before Virtual Memory kicks in.

This link is where it gave me the impression that LabVIEW can use large amounts of Virtual Memory:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/10184/en/

Thanks for your feedback!

Christopher Farmer

DQMH Trusted Advisor

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,056 Views)

LabVIEW does need a contiguous block of memory for every data structure it creates. In addition its arrays are traditionally limited to 2^31-1 elements per dimension since the count member of an array is treated as signed 32 bit integer. This 2^31 limitation very likely doesn't come into play here since IMAQ Vision uses its own internal memory structures and treats IMAQ Vision handles as pointers rather than LabVIEW data handles to make it less prone to unintentional memory copies of the data.

Basically image memory only gets copied when explicitedly calling IMAQ Vision functions or when passing an image to an image control for display in a window. And that is pretty much unavoidable.So if you create an image that uses 4GB of memory you quickly end up consuming 2 or 3 blocks of contiguous 4GB memory. Due to memory fragmentation, even if your system has still 4 or more GB of memory free, calling a function that (temporarely) causes another copy in memory of that 4GB image may still fail, since there is no contiguous block of memory available anymore in the system. And yes that data has to be in physical memory as it is actively used at that moment.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,037 Views)