From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running exe file without LV runtime installer? For Citrix Xenapp etc...

I read in an old post that it is possible to build a Labview executable in such a way that no Labview Runtime needs to be installed. Is this still possible?

The goal is to run a few applications in a Citrix Xenapp  (*) enviroment, but just to get someone to test it can be complicated. If I can make a simple program that has all resources included it can be a fast way to prove that labview programs can run in Citrix.

Also any input on how easy it is to run labview apllications under Citrix is appreciated, so far I have not got much info from NI. 

* I think it is called Citrix Xenapp, it is their Terminal-server style environment where you use your PC as a dumb terminal and all is run on a central Citrix server

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,436 Views)

As far as I know, the trick that allowed you to run LV without the run-time engine is no longer possible.

I have heard people mention the use of Cameyo before - you might have some luck with it. I guess where you might run into difficulties is with any hardware/device interaction - without the drivers being installed etc. you might run into problems with missing/unregistered DLLs.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
Message 2 of 7
(3,429 Views)

Is it such a problem to install the runtime on the Citrix server? How do you handle .net installations?

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,408 Views)

Yamaeda, it is not a technical problem mainly. The Citrix system is out of my hands, so I cannot test it myself... I don't know when the IT-people will have time to test it.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,391 Views)

Sam, I just made a quick try of Cameyo, and it works on a normal PC, but in Citrix I get the "I need the Labview runtime installed..."-error.

Quite cool idea whenit works!

You start cameo on your normal PC, and ask it to record. You do all installs (LV runtime + copy of HelloWorld.exe in my case). Then say to Cameyo "i'm done with install". It will check what you installed and make a separate runtime enviroment (or?) with these resources. That new executable should include everything needed for running the app.

My HelloWorld.Cameo.exe got 100Mb(!) But I can run it on a PC without any labview runtime (I found ONE pc without labview in the office!).

But on Citrix something is different, and it didnot work. If I find some time I will try some more.

Also, hardware interaction should not be a problem, the programs I like to run on Citrix is not hardware control stuff, mainly data manipulation and presentation programs.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,333 Views)

I too suggest trying to get the runtime engine installed propertly.

But if you want to experiment a little, here is some information on the subject that is quite dated.

https://lavag.org/topic/9980-running-exe-on-system-without-labview/

https://lavag.org/topic/13166-running-labview-app-on-cdrom-without-run-time-engine-installed/

That being said I did get a similar method working with LabVIEW 2012 at one point with a basic hello world program.  Things like lvrt.dll, mesa.dll, niCPULib.dll and a couple others were needed but I don't have the details anymore.

Even if this does work if it stops working at some point NI won't be able to help you, it is an undocumented and unsupported feature.

Message 6 of 7
(3,249 Views)

Yameada, it works to run labview under Citrix Xenapp! I just tried a small HelloWorld program, and it runs normally! Fantastic!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,212 Views)