LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running an interactive external application thru VI

Hello everyone

I have found several example of using the System Exec VI to execute a command from Labview. But is there a technique to run a executable within a window inside Labview that is also interactive with user input. 

I have a serial data logging program that is collecting data for me over a RS232 connection. The data log works great but I would like to run this somehow embedded inside labview. The datalogger appears to be a batch run that runs a Java file. I don't have too much control over the data logger as it was provided by the manufacturer. I thought about contacting the manufacturer to ask about the serial interface to see if I decode inside labview but really I just want to run and show the data logger inside my existing VI.

Any suggestions or tips on fix? When the data logger starts, the user needs to click on connect and start recording.

Thanks

Thomas

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,201 Views)
You need to check with the vendor of this unspecified application to see if they have an api for remote control. Perhaps they have an ActiveX interface? If not, I've had very good luck with an application called AutoIT - https://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit/

There are LabVIEW examples on the forum.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,197 Views)