cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running a LabVIEW app on a MAC yosemite without LabVIEW

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all !

When you compile LabVIEW codes on a Mac, you create a ".app" instead of a ".exe". I would like to run my ".app" on another Mac running with Yosemite (OSX 10.10) and without LabVIEW on it.

I downloaded the latest RunTime Engine for LabVIEW on that Mac in order to make the application run but it does not seem to work ...

Has anyone already done such a thing and would have a method to follow ? 🙂

Thank you in advance !

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,170 Views)

I don't use a Mac, but there could be many reasons why the program does not run on the new machine.

You really need to be more specific.  Nobody has any idea of what is specifically wrong with the only information being "It does not seem to work".  It is like taking your car to the mechanic and saying that it is making a noise.

Did you write the program that was turned into the application?  Did you use error indicators that could tell you what the problem is?  Does the program use toolkits or DAQ?  You would have to install them as well.  So there could be many problems and we guess all day long. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,137 Views)

Are you developing using Application Builder on a mac or a windows machine?  I don't remember seeing any options other than exe on a windows machine and that definitely wouldn't work on a mac, even with a rte.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,130 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author gvanhoeke

gvanhoeke wrote:

When you compile LabVIEW codes on a Mac....

LabVIEW VIs are always compiled. You are probably talking about building a standalone executable.

gvanhoeke wrote:

I downloaded the latest RunTime Engine for LabVIEW on that Mac in order to make the application run but it does not seem to work 

Instead of the "latest", you need the runtime engine that matches the LabVIEW version used to develop the program.

(Sorry, I have no direct experience with Macs)

Message 4 of 8
(3,122 Views)

By "doesn't work" I mean the RunTime Engine is not supported in Yosemite.

* I downloaded the RunTime Engine for MAC on NI.com (this version : http://www.ni.com/download/labview-run-time-engine-2014/4894/en/)

* I got an error message telling me that the RunTime Engine is not able to work on the computer.

Therefore, eventhough problems might be present in the program itself, the current problem occurs before it even runs and debugging it wouldn't help.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,091 Views)

I developped the standalone application from a MAC machine where the application builder creates ".app" programs instead of ".exe" by default.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,089 Views)

Altenbach,

Yes, sorry for my vocabulary mistakes ... I will try to download the RunTime Engine adapted to the LabVIEW version used for development of the code (I would have expected latest RunTime Engine versions to be able to run oldest versions of LabVIEW ...).

I will let you know ! Thank you for this first remark !

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,085 Views)

Shame on me, the solution is indeed to download the RunTime Engine corresonding to the LabVIEW version from which the executable/application was built ...(No issue noticed that could be due to the OS version of the computer running the executable/application).

Thank you Altenbach !

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,046 Views)