LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running VI's on Labview 7.1 with Windows 7

Hi,

So I know that Labview 7.1 is not support by Windows 7, but I have noticed people on these forums have been getting it to work (sort of).

I have managed to get our PCI 6221 card to work on our Windows 7 x86 machine with NI-DAQmx 9.4 installed, and I have installed Labview 7.1 on the machine as well. But my issue is when I try to load any of our VI's (ones that we run from Windows XP) it starts to load them but it then wants to find various VI's such as "DAQmx Create Task.vi", "DAQmx Create Virtual Channel.vi" etc. And when I hit cancel and then stop (as I cannot locate these VI's) Labview will not operate properly.

Is there something I am missing or are our VI's not compatible with Win 7?

Cheers,

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,711 Views)

DAQmx 9.4 does not include support for LabVIEW 7.1.  You could try uninstalling, and going back to a much earlier version of DAQmx.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,708 Views)

@nathand wrote:

DAQmx 9.4 does not include support for LabVIEW 7.1.  You could try uninstalling, and going back to a much earlier version of DAQmx.

But that version is likely not able to support Windows 7. DAQmx contains a lot of kernel space components, and a kernel driver originally written for Windows XP, quite likely won't work without issues under Windows 7.

What I have gotten away with once, was to install LabVIEW 7.1 on an older XP PC, then a DAQmx version that supports 7.1, and then do the same on the Windows 7 PC but with the newer DAQmx, and then copy all the DAQmx VIs from the XP PC into your new LabVIEW installation. A tedious work and with a high chance that some of the VIs won't be compatible with the new DAQmx driver. It worked for a simple DIO application but your mileage may vary greatly.

Another approach might be to backsave the VIs in a supported LabVIEW version to 8.0 and then using LabVIEW 8.0 to backsave it to 7.1 but that is even more tedious if you want to get all DAQmx VIs backsaved, and likely will require some additional editing on the VIs to cater for unsupported features in 7.1.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,680 Views)