From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running DAQ-9188 with LV13 runs great on developing machine not on target machine

@Hooovahh wrote:

Including these things will balloon the installer.  Expect several GBs for the installer if you used DAQmx and other things.  Once these are installed on a new machine you can make an update installer that doesn't include these things, and just includes the updated EXE.

Assume your first install will have errors.  consider this your "Pilot" or "Test" machine.  Yes you may need to tweak the code and re-build the exe.  It save some time just taking the next build exe to the pilot machine but remember to re-build the installer when you get all the code right!  or, the next deploment can go south in a hurry!  And even if you are sure you are only doing a "1-off" don't be surprised when someone dumps coffee on the production machine and sais "Ill just swap in a substtute PC and use that nifty installer "Fives" made for me"

Fives will get ten lashes with a wet noodle when the old installer installs "Bad" code. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 22
(679 Views)

Story time.  A new customer called us in to help on an hourly task.  They had a system running an old Dell from 2002 era LabVIEW 5 program, traditional DAQ hardware, running Windows 2000.  

They asked us to help them because the production machine they were using all these years had a hard drive crash.  So they bought a new computer got IT to set it all up, then they copied the ProductionTesterApplication.exe someone had saved from the old computer and were surprised when it didn't run.  They brought us in thinking it would be a few hours to "configure" the system since that must be the only thing wrong with it.  I mean they had the executable what other things are needed?

I was without source code, attempting to use legacy hardware that you could no longer buy, using old DAQ drivers no longer supported, on an new operating system, no longer officially supporting LabVIEW 5.  Luckily there was a duplicate old dell machine and the simplest solution was to clone the harddrive and put it in the new computer.  Drivers where quite pissy for a while but eventually everything was recognized and the old EXE ran.

Let this be a lesson.  Make an installer.  Include all the needed components of that installer that you can (config files, MAX settings, database files).  So that on a new machine there is less things to worry about.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 22
(675 Views)

Okay guys, ran into brick wall. Has making an exe changed from LV12 to LV13? Figured out how to make installer, same outcome. It’s weird I see the hardware in NI MAX and test channels everything works fine there. Run the exe and nothing, front panel opens run with no errors just no live indicators.

Thanks for your help so far.  May be over my head with LV13.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 22
(662 Views)

Nothing really changed between 2012 and 2013.  Also it sounds odd that the VI runs but has no response.  That sounds like all the components are installed just fine, now you are dealing with an issue where the EXE behaves differently than the source.  There are many ways that this can happen.  Did you have decent error handling in your code?  I ask because if a scale or channel doesn't exist, or the device alias is different you'll get an error but if you don't handle it you won't know in an EXE.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 22
(660 Views)

Sorry, no I do not do error handling.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 22
(658 Views)
Can you zip up th project and attach it. There may be something obvious to someone here. (This sounds like a case of REALLY close ....but) I doubt that LabVIEW 2013 is much more over your head than 2012. We are merely exposing you to tools in the development environment you have not used before. Sort of like handing a guy a screwdriver for the first time..... you invariably need to say "Righty-Tighty, Lefty-Loosey"

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 22
(654 Views)

Not sure this is going to work, but here you go. 

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 22
(651 Views)

OK that didn't work.

from the project that contains your application build spec and the installer build spec Try Build specifications: New Zip File.

No, I'm not laughing at you.  I realize this is new to you but, its not as hard as you are making it out to be

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 22
(645 Views)

Was on vacation for a week. Going to try zip again.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 22
(612 Views)

Your project doesn't contain an installer, only an application.  If you are going to put this on a machine that doesn't have all of the needed NI software and drivers you will want to make an installer to include all the needed software.

Right click Build Specifications and make a New Installer, where you choose to include the application, and under additional installers include DAQmx related things like DAQmx Core Runtime, and MAX Configuration Support, along with the 2013 run-time engine.  Manually check these after unselecting the Automatically select recommended installers.

Also I'm glad you were able to make this program do what you want but is is over complicated.  If you are looking for help improving it you can make a separate thread.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 22
(609 Views)