LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run executable at end of installation. Admin privileges?

Hi all,

As always, please forgive this questioning if it has already been answered somewhere.

Here is my scenario:

I have a batch file with the following in it:

cd C:\Temp\install\anotherInstaller

setup.exe /q /AcceptLicenses yes
  • "anotherInstaller" is an installer for a different LabVIEW application that I am including with the main one.
  • I run the batch file from the "Advanced" page of my installer under "Run executable at end of installation."
  • I run my top level installer with admin privileges in Windows 7 x64.
  • The installer hums along and everything works as expected until the batch file gets called.
  • The batch file gets called successfully by my top level installer, but "anotherInstaller" doesn't run.

The batch script works fine if I run it by itself with elevated privileges, but doesn't run anotherInstaller if it is called by my top level installer.

My theory is that the executable called under "Run executable at end of installation" does not execute with elevated privileges, even if the top level installer does.

Can anyone verify this?

Is there any other reason why my second installer won't work?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,324 Views)

Okay, it does appear to execute with elevated privileges, and I have a new clue:

When I turn off the "/q" option on anotherInstaller, the following message appears in a dialog:

"Error: Another Installation/uninstallation session, deployment session, or NI Update Service is running. Finish that session and try again."

Ugh.  Anyone know of a good way to "piggyback" another LabVIEW built installer as part of a batch file?  (I have a whole ton of other housekeeping I handle in my batch file, so I can't very well avoid using the batch file.)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,283 Views)

You could probably wrap the LV installer in another installer. I don't have any experience with those, but there have been some threads over the years (try on LAVA too). I seem to remember people talking about InnoSetup, but that might be faulty memory.

Thanks, tst.

I'll see if I can do some creative scripting, but it sounds like I may just have to use a third party installer as you're suggesting.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,264 Views)