cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run a labview GUI without Labview installed

Solved!
Go to solution

I have created a labview GUI and I need my Supervisor and Monitor to evaluate
my prototype device using this GUI. I am in Ireland and they are in Berlin.

Can you please advise if it is possible for them to get a version of Labview to
run this GUI only? If so, will I additionally have to build an application within my GUI (or rewrite my GUI)in
order for them to do this? They can only get an evaluation version for 7 days so its not suitable. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(6,182 Views)
You can view and control the front panel remotely using Labview or web browser. You need to install Labview runtime engine to access via web browser.
https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361K-01/lvconcepts/viewing_fp_remote/
Thanks
uday
Message 2 of 15
(6,178 Views)

The best way to distribute code is to use the application builder and build your application as an exe. You can also create an installer which will install the application and the necessary runtime libraries to support your application. Your code may need to be restructured to run as an application depending on how you currently implemented it. When distributing applications you don't want to use the "Run" arrow and the "Abort" button to control starting and stopping your execution. You should handle these programmatically.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 3 of 15
(6,145 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author lolasue

@lolasue wrote:

They can only get an evaluation version for 7 days so its not suitable. 

You can extend this to 90 days by checking the box and filling out the form when the 7 day timeout pops up. 

Also you can simply reinstall the evaluation to get another 7/90 days.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 4 of 15
(6,132 Views)

Hi Mark, as this is my first GUI (attached) I don't know how to assess how it has been implemented vis a vis running as an application. Could you possibly take a look at it and comment?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(6,075 Views)

In general using "Bytes at port" is not a good way to do serial communications. 

Use a Termination Character and set teh VISA Read to read a lot more bytes than you expect to receive. 

The VISA read will then read until it gets a Term Char or time out. 

Search the board and you will find lots of examples explaining this.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(6,055 Views)

For a very basiuc VI this code will work as an exe. the main thing you need is to have a method to stop your code other than the abort button. For more complex user interfaces you will generally use event structures and a producer/comsumer or state machine architecture. LabVIEW ships with examples of both architectures.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(6,042 Views)

I have built the application within my GUI and I have installed RTE on another pc to test it. However, whilst the application opens up it doesnt appear to be working. For instance when I try to select a port on the Visa Resource button, no ports are shown. Also when I open up the application it appears that the GUI is already running.

Perhaps, as you say Mark Yedinak , it has to do with my still using the run and abort buttons? Can you please tell me how I replace these with programme options?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(5,971 Views)

Hi lolasue,

you should create an Installer after you created your executable. This installer will include anything needed to run your exe, especially also the VISA runtime which is needed for serial communication…

whilst the application opens up it doesnt appear to be working.

You should get some error messages. Do you do some error checking in your VI(s)?

Also when I open up the application it appears that the GUI is already running.

This is standard behaviour for any executable on your PC - or do you need to push a start button before IE/Word/FireFox/whatever actually runs?

When you want your exe to wait for user input you need to program it to wait for user input! (The LabVIEW menu bar should be hidden for any executable anyway…)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(5,966 Views)
Adding to GerdW comments, if you don't want the application to run when opened: Uncheck the Run When Opened : http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/F5E0C938A602A7028625678D004B4F5A
Thanks
uday
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(5,961 Views)