From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run Code Continuously in Event Driven State Machine

Hi there, I was wondering what is the best way to run code continuously in an event driven state machine. Particularly, I am going off the JKI state machine. At the moment I put the code I want to run continuously (acquire from an instrument) in the timeout case of the event structure. When the user presses the button, the event sends the value 0 to the timeout terminal of the event structure (through a shift register). If the user stops the acquisition then the value -1 is sent to the timeout terminal. This is a tip that I took from an article by Mike Porter.

Would it be better to run this process in a separate loop? Is a state machine a bad design choice for running code continuously? I don't like my current solution because if I have another process I'll have to start putting case structures into the timeout case. Also, if the process takes a while then the event structure will take a while to respond.

Thanks for your input!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,468 Views)

I typically put those things into another loop and communicate with that loop using a queue.  I also will use the timeout trick of setting the queue's timeout to -1 when not continuously running and 0 (or whatever loop rate you actually want) for when you are repeatedly running something.  I find this simplifies your main state machine loop, especially if your state machine is doing a lot of stuff.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 6
(3,441 Views)

Adding to that I believe Preview Queue element to read the data and Lossy  enqueue to transfer the I/O output, especially if the I/O device responds slowly. This should keep your event structure polling along very nicely during I/O calls to the other structure.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,437 Views)

@AKA_TG wrote:

Adding to that I believe Preview Queue element to read the data and Lossy  enqueue to transfer the I/O output, especially if the I/O device responds slowly. This should keep your event structure polling along very nicely during I/O calls to the other structure.

I actually prefer to use an User Event to send the data to the main event structure and/or whoever else needs it.  I am not a fan of the lossy enqueue (loss of data).  At that point, I might as well just use a Notifier and/or global variable.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,430 Views)

In  a recent related conversation on LAVA, I posted an example of "triggering" a JKI state machine, with two independantly-timed continuous processes.  

This involves separate loops, but they are reusable timers that send messages (via User Event) to the JKI to trigger the process.  

Message 5 of 6
(3,372 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,335 Views)