From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right-click, select VI not working

Solved!
Go to solution

I cannot select a vi when I right-click > select vi from a folder or subdirectory. I can drag OK from a palette. I'm also getting a "flicker" of the window when I try to pull the vi from the folder. I'm running LV2011 and Windows 7.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(6,416 Views)

So the only way to install subVIs is to select them from palettes? Have you tries restarting LV and Windows? With LV2011 I learned some time ago that if it is doing something strange, restart LV and if it's still doing it THEN it's a problem.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
(6,397 Views)

Tried everything I could think of and then some. I even uninstalled 2012 beta to no affect. Still a problem. The only way I can get a subvi is to drag it from the palette.

PaulG.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(6,379 Views)

Shot in the dark...

Blow away your LabVIEW.ini file (after backing it up).

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21
(6,375 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author PaulG.

I started looking at the timing of when this problem started. Turns out I had just installed "Ultramon" a 3rd-party mulitple display manager software. I use it at home and have had no trouble with it. I uninstalled Ultramon and right-click works again.

PaulG.

Message 5 of 21
(6,364 Views)

I ran into this problem myself and have a workaround. The old version of Ultramon 2.7.1 does not stop right click functions working correctly.

Message 6 of 21
(6,351 Views)

Hi All,

I have the same kind of problem.  When I try to import a file using "Select a VI" in the right-click options, nothing is imported after selection is done using File Dialog.  But when I drag the same file from Windows Explorer, the file is dropped in the Front Panel (or) Block Diagram without any problem.  I hardly remember from when this is happening to figure out if some installation has caused this problem.  Can any one help me how to make right click to work?

-Ajay

--
Ajay MV

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(6,275 Views)

Ajay,

If you could answer a few questions for us to help you better with this issue, that would be great:

1. What version of LabVIEW/Windows are you running?

2. Have you tried to delete the LabVIEW.ini file and restarting LabVIEW/your computer?

3. Do you have UltraMON installed?

4. Is there anything else special or unique about your setup that we should know about?

Thanks

David M.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(6,251 Views)

David,

Here are the answers for your questions.

1.  I have LabVIEW 2010 SP1 32 bit.

2.  Yes I tried delete the LabVIEW.ini file.  But still the problem persists.

3.  No.  I don't have UltraMON installed on my PC.

4.  I have Real Time and FPGA Installed.  I didn't do any modifications (or installations) w.r.t LabVIEW for past 2 months.

Thanks,

Ajay

--
Ajay MV

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(6,233 Views)

Ajay,

Have you tried uninstalling any other (non-UltraMon) third-party windows UI enhancement utilities you might have installed on your machine? Also, what happens when you try this with a single monitor plugged into the machine? 

If you could write out step by step what you are doing, so that I know we are on the same page, that will help me narrow down exactly what the issue is with your version of LabVIEW.

David M.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(6,200 Views)