LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right-click in Project Explorer is sometimes slow

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a large AF project with lots of classes and libraries. I only really use those two (lvclass and lvlib) to structure and organize the project. Right-clicking on VI's takes sometimes a terribly long time to load, say up to 10 seconds, depending on the library/class. It appears to be vaguely related to how much stuff the owning libraries/classes have. What specifically is causing this loading time? Any ideas how I could get rid of this significant inconvenience?

Here's more info and some thoughts:

• Windows 8.1
  • LabVIEW 2015 / 32bit (I can't say for sure but I think I didn't have this issue on earlier versions 2014 and 2013)
  • Mass compiling the entire project (took like 2 hours) had no effect
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,453 Views)
I think you summed up your problem in the first six words of your post. I have seen this problem when working with very large classes, or a large number of classes. The AF tends to create both.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,408 Views)

I have to say I did desperately hope there would more to it than just that, the classes. Even if there's no resolution at sight it interests me: what is it exactly that the right-click menu has to resolve to such lengths?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,380 Views)
I don't know. There is undoubtedly some items that have to be configured on the fly. To be clear, the OOP aspects of LabVIEW work well. The problem is the Actor Framework.

Mike....

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,371 Views)

I don't really have experience with this myself, but I have seen people talk about this before. Here are a couple of examples which might help you with what to look for:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Class-Mutations-slow-IDE-decide-if-safe-to-delete/m-p/3241011#M94352...

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Improve-IDE-performance-when-working-with-lots-of-clas...

Another thing which might be relevant is project providers (since you say this happens in the project). LV 2015 should now have the AF interactions as a project provider and you might have others installed, so this might also be the source of the issues. I'm not sure if there's a quick way to disable providers, although they should all live in <LabVIEW>\Resource, so you can try looking there, or possibly looking it up (there is a project providers group, but I believe it's private, so you might need to ask to join).

Thanks! I will take a good look at these and see what I can learn. The project providers particularly sound like something that might be very relevant. I'll try to find a way to test if they are.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,317 Views)

@vekkuli wrote:

Thanks! I will take a good look at these and see what I can learn. The project providers particularly sound like something that might be very relevant. I'll try to find a way to test if they are.

One that comes to mind quickly is the Viewpoint TSVN toolkit.  With large projects the framework overhead can seriously bog down project explorer.

That being said, its an awesome TK! when you keep your projects down to a reasonable memory footprint like you should.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,294 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author vekkuli

Thanks everybody for the ideas and resources. I'm very, very happy to announce that this particular fix https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-44159 (Fix for AF Project Provider Performance Issue) made my issue disappear. Delay went down from ~7 sec to less than half a second. Wonderful! This, to me, proves false the idea that simply having hundreds of classes or a large AF project would make your routine IDE experience terrible.

Message 8 of 8
(5,267 Views)