From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reusing Custom Controls in a VI Template

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, 

My question is about making my subVI modules more reusable using templating. 

I am writing a queued message handler application to control many different asynchronously running instruments. 

One super-nice feature of templates I recently discovered is that if you include a subVI or control as a template within your VIT file, 

if you create a new VI using that VIT file it will automatically prompt you to re-save these files, which would save me a lot of time when duplicating 

my Queued message handlers for different modules. (I know the Actor Template eliminates this, but it's important that I get this done soon and I don't want to modify my project too much at this point). 

My question is that with the Control Template I seem to be unable to use a ctt file in the same way. That is, I can have one instance of a ctt but when I try to create a copy of it I am prompted to resave it as a .ctl file, so if I create a new VI from the template I am unable to update all instances of the control in this convenient manner. 

Is there a work around for this? 

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,629 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author smallmediumlarge

Ah, actually I solved my problem; you just can't use quick select because then it will use the template to create a new ctl file. 

To drop a ctt I needed to select the .ctt file via browser. Whoops. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,616 Views)