LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return code and handle

Back to basics! but I do not have clear idea of what the "Return Code" and "Handle" are? I have a small VI that I want to incorporate into another VI. WHat role these two terms play such case?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,170 Views)
I don't have a clear idea of what you are asking. Return Code and Handle from what?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,159 Views)
Are you interested in input and output connector terminals? Maybe this will help?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,154 Views)
It sounds like the OP may be dealing with a VI that calls a DLL.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,145 Views)

Thanks for all the replies. As mentioned before, I am trying to incorporate a small VI into another VI. When I view this small VI's block diagram, it has a "Handle" and a few other inputs and then a "Handle Out" and a "Return Code". Seems like to me that these are some sort of memory management items and "Handle Out" is the outout of this small VI, which should be connected to a particular point in the big VI. I just did not find any documentation on these terminologies.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,119 Views)

A return code is often an integer that indicates status of some operation performed. A handle could be a reference to some object that is created.

You are asking pretty generic questions that you could have used google to find exactly what I've just said. You could at least mention the subVI that you are trying to call if you want any sort of details.  Even the name of the subVI might not be enough, though. If you really need help, provide enough details for someone to understand what the heck you are doing.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,113 Views)
Posting the VI wouldn't hurt either. As long as it's distributable, of course.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,102 Views)

Sorry about ot being clear about my issue. I have a Trigger Enable VI that someone (in fact, a company whose DAQ card we use for our experiements) wrote for us. The VI, when corrently incorporated into the main VI (which performs data acquisition and analysis) will trigger the acquisition system at right instant and gather data for next 1/10 sec.  The main VI controls the DAQ card installed in our computer. It takes two signals (f=25KHz) as inputs from 2 photo detectors. The card can take the ramp output (f=10Hz, Amp=1Vpp) from an external signal generator and should begin DAQ and processing when the ramp signal reaches its peak (+0.5V) and continue taking data until it reaches trough (-0.5V), i.e. 5000 samples in one cycle of trigger signal.

Now, the main VI has multiple Sub-VI's and one of them configures the card for input signal levels, trigger levels, etc. This sub-VI also has a couple of sub-VIs regarding the extermal triggering. Since I figured that the Trigger Enable VI will have to be placed inside this VI, I was looking at the block diagram of the Trigger Enable VI and the two outputs it has are "Handle Out" and "Return Code". I am not sure what they are/mean hence the post.

Thank you  

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,084 Views)
If you are using a DAQ card from another manufacturer, then they would be using a custom DLL to interface to that card. That's where that's coming from. Since you have not posted any code I cannot say with 100% certainty, but I'm 99.999% sure.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,055 Views)

The handle out can be used on other VIs from the company and connected to a handle in. I doubt they will be very usefull in your 'big' VI, try to open some of the shipped examples of that DAQ card (if there are no examples, just call them and ask for one).

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,038 Views)