cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requirements Gateway - Front Panel Objects

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I am just about to start using the requirements gateway and I have a couple of questions to help me get going...

1 - If I create a vi on a machine without RG installed and then move it to a machine with the RG installed, will the tags still be recognised?

2 - Does RG recognise the [Covers XX] syntax if it is on a front panel and not the block diagram?

Thanks for your help.

Darren.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,777 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author REAL!

I know a little about RG.

1. Yes.

2. RG will scan three areas of a VI for the references: VI Description, Control/Indicator Description, Block Diagram comment (free labels). Therefore it will not see a reference on the front panel (such as data text, or label/caption text).

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

Message 2 of 7
(2,770 Views)

Great, thanks for your answers.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,764 Views)

One other thing to add.  I think I remember scanning some areas of the VI are faster than others.  Normally I'd just put comment on the block diagram but it turns out that finding those takes more time than just looking at the VI description.  I believe you had control over what type of scan it would perform and you could select if you wanted an indepth scan where it look at free labels, or a higher level scan that looked at VI description.

If you have multiple thousands of VIs to scan it might be a good idea to put your cover tags in the VI description.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,722 Views)
RG 2012 improved the search of Vis for references, I don't think this is so bad anymore.
Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,704 Views)

I hadn't really thought about the time it takes to scan all the files, I have only used it on one of the NI courses which was only 2 or 3 vi's.

My final program will probably be in the 100's of vi's rather than the 1000's so will hopefully be ok.

If not, I'm always looking for an excuse for a tea break... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,652 Views)

@REAL! wrote:

If not, I'm always looking for an excuse for a tea break... Smiley Happy

Don't expect it to be that bad.  

Whever I see someone at NI talk about Requirements Gateway, or see them use it, I am reminded how disconnected these individuals are with how it is used in the real world.  2-3 VIs?  Who has 2-3 VIs?  If you have a program with 2-3 VIs I think you can track the requirements your self.

The largest program I think I used it on had something around 3000 requirements, and that went into 4000 or so derived requirements, that linked to VIs, TestStand files, and Word documents.  Ever used that one tab in RG that shows how each file links to each file with requirements?  The one with all the lines pointing to all the bubbles?  Yeah that is utterly useless if you have more than 10 or so requirements.  For that program I described it looked like a conduit made of 1000s of little lines.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,645 Views)