Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report Generation slow when network cable pluged in

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have a very strange problem.

I am using LabVIEW 2014 and Report Generation toolkit 2014.  When I have the ethernet cable plugged in it takes a very long time to generate my report in word.  When the Ethernet cable is unplugged I don't have a problem.

Any ideas?

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,750 Views)

Hi,

Sounds creepy, I think you can check your CPU utilization when you plugged cable.

It might be your computer doing something and it slow your VI running.

Patrick

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,744 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ASTDan

Maybe there's a networked printer configured on your system? Some of the Report Gen VIs deal with the system printer(s), and if there's a problem connecting to one of them, I could see that causing the code to slow down.

Most of the VIs in the toolkit aren't password-protected, so you could use execution highlighting to see which specific subVI gets bogged down.

Message 3 of 6
(3,731 Views)

Hello,

The default printer was set to Micorsoft One Note.  I changed the default printer to PDF and the slowness went away.

Thanks so much for the sugestion

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,641 Views)

I do not know where the exact cause is. For me, it is probably the incompatibility of LabView 2013 with Office 2013. But it seems I was able to fix the problem by manipulating the VI "Dispose Report". Please note the pictures: First is original, second is manipulated. I have deleted closing the "InlineShapes". The VI can be found here: ... \ National Instruments \ LabVIEW 2013 \ vi.lib \ Utility \ NIReport.llb \ Word \ Dispose Report.vi.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,382 Views)

@digital_badger wrote:

I do not know where the exact cause is. For me, it is probably the incompatibility of LabView 2013 with Office 2013. But it seems I was able to fix the problem by manipulating the VI "Dispose Report". Please note the pictures: First is original, second is manipulated. I have deleted closing the "InlineShapes". The VI can be found here: ... \ National Instruments \ LabVIEW 2013 \ vi.lib \ Utility \ NIReport.llb \ Word \ Dispose Report.vi.

This is potentially creating memory leaks if there ever was anything populating that data element in the object data cluster. So handle with care!!

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,365 Views)